Thread: I have the planting bug

I have the planting bug

I want to start planning what to grow this year. I have never planned a garden to feed our entire family, just gone along with my husband but he doesn't really care what we do. How do you know how much to plant for a family of 5 and what will grow in our area?
    Thank you- Tami in NW WA [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font color>

Re: I have the planting bug

Here is a site from a West Virginia university. It shows how much to plant for each person in the family. For what varieties will grow well in your area you might check with your local county extension agent or seed supplier. I have found that most varieties will grow well anywhere as long as you have a good soil, sunshine and moisture.

Planting Guide

I really appreciate this. Thank you. Tami

I'd start a list of the families favorite veggies.. then veggies that you'd like to freeze. If you really love to garden.. plant more than what you need and can freeze.. bring the extra to neighbors.. to coworkers.. church groups.

Tami, What part of western Washington? Success varies significantly by location and the influence of Puget Sound.

For fruit and berries checkout Raintree Nursery They are located in Morton and specialize in stuff that works in the Northwest.

Cold weather veggies will do just fine. Potatoes, corn, squash onions are cash crops for the summer. Tomatoes are always hard, but with protection, you can suceed, early girl, has worked for me.

I am north of Seattle in Arlington. I am also trying to figure out what Zone I am in. How can I find out? Thank you!
    Tami

Tami, you are in zone 8, this doesn't tell you much other than the normal minimum winter temp ~ 20 deg. F . Arlington is getting pretty far North and your average summer temp. is pretty low. Unless the soil temp is above 50 deg. forget it. (cold weather crop OK)

The biggest mistake most NW gardners make is plantiing unprotected to early. Wait until Mothers day and later for most summer crops, later for corn and cucumber and tomatoes. xcross your fingers on tomatoes. Listen to Ciscoe Morris on 710 KIRO call in or email him, he will respond (mention Brussel Sprouts) Ciscoe

Are yoou Brussel Sprouts? We usually don't get a lot. Maybe if I start somethings in a greenhouse. I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you

Tami, Brussels sprouts require a long growing period, though newer hybrids have greatly reduced this requirement. In all but the most northern states, summers are usually too warm for completely satisfactory production from spring plantings. Plants set out in early summer grow satisfactorily and mature high-quality sprouts when the fall weather begins to cool.

Try "Bubbles" (82 days to harvest, dependable, tolerates warm weather, resistant to rust) Better yet send Ciscoe an email for his recommendation. Ciscoe