Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking at a system of pre-measured metal sockets that are used to build a Post Barn Frame called "Socket Systems".
    They can be found at www.socketsystems.com. They have been around since 1982 but I can't find any info, good or bad, for this system. I was wondering if anybody here has used them or know someone who has used them.
    The system is basically a set of mitered knuckles to put together the Frame of any style barn. Just cut the posts and beams to length and slip them into the knuckle,bolt them down, and raise up using the hinged base plate. The system seems sound enough and I can see definite savings on the labor and equipment but I just can't find any info on a company that has been around for 20+ years. That makes me worry a little. Should I be concerned? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

At one time I used the "OLD PHONE BOOK" method of checking suppliers. If I could look them up in a 3 year old phone book and they had the same address, I gave them bonus points for stability.

A variant of this wouuld be to check them out in Thomas Register, on-line or even better is an old paper version, say 10 years old. If they are there maybe they are for real but if not maybe some smoke and mirors are at play.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Some years ago Home Depot had some similar metal clips for building small backyard greenhouses.

Think I'd do a bunch of asking first. Some of the designs on their web site are a little questionable maybe??

Egon

Like Egon,

I would wonder if these have been approved by a Proffessional Engineer and for what wind and snow loads?

I found them in the Thomas Register but that just showed that they registered. They are not local to me so I can't really use the phone book idea, although that is a pretty slick idea.
    Their product has been engineered and you can download the engineer specs off of their site.
    Being in Central Texas we have no snow load limit (as you might imagine) but the wind could be a problem. It does get fairly windy here with gusts up to 50+ mph. It's not an everyday occurance though.
    What I particularly like is that the roof truss system is pretty straight forward. With other plans you have to either build them or have them built for you. I have never built a roof truss and to build several the same way seems fairly daunting to me. The work doesn't scare me but the accuracy does a little. Don't want a wavy roof you know.
    Thank You for the replies so far.

"I have never built a roof truss and to build several the same way seems fairly daunting to me."

I agree. It seems like this would be a good solution but I would want to compare this to the cost of other structures.

In this case you have the cost of the hardware plus the cost of 2" x 6"s and two courses of 1/2" thick plywood.

If I am building a shed for my tractor and implements I wonder if a tub steel shed might be less money.

Mark

<font color="red"> I found them in the Thomas Register but that just showed that they registered. </font color>

The idea was to find them in an "OLD" thomas register so you would know they had been around at least since that Thomas edition came out. Longevity doesn't prove competency (except for you and I) but if they have been around 5, 10, or more years, they can't be all bad or have lost suits to too many damaged customers.

I'm sure you could build our own trusses but you have to wonder if it is actually worth the effort. My GC strongly recommended factory trusses. Most local builders use them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

mfaley,
    When I talked with the manufacturer the laminated beams were just a suggestion but they truly recommend that you use 6x6 posts for the construction. I am not really sure why they would do this especially when they admitted to me that it would be more time and money to do it the laminated way. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Seems kinda weird to me.

Pat,
    I'm sorry, I have never used the Thomas Registry and wasn't really sure what it was. I will go back and try to find again. I don't know why it just hit me now, but I never checked the BBB. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    I brought up the issue of trusses because I was looking at Barnplans.com also. They said there trusses can be built on site by me of course. I suppose you can always get them built by a local company though. With the Socket System however, you don't need to get trusses made. I thought that was a good plan and a potential savings. I like the wide spans that these two companies designs offer. I haven't seen many prefab trusses with this much open area.
    Still in the early stages of this thing so I will be doing a fair amount of digging for info.
    Don't really want to use metal if it's possible because we want it to match the future house and we will live in the top floor until the real home is built.

WHat did you decide to do ?

kconner,
    I have been hit with some unpleseantries as of late so I havn't acted on this yet. The wife likes the idea of a log barn to match the log house I am supposed to build when we get to the ranch. I was going to build the barn first but not so sure anymore. I think when the time comes however, I will be building it with logs. ouch!