Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

Re: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

Tperez,
    If you build your own trusses they may have to be certified by a structural engineer which adds cost. With the socket system you might want to ask them if they will provide the approved engineering for your area. Each state, and region thereof, has its own set of design parameters that need to be adhered to. My point is, just because the socket system is accepted in one state/jurisdiction does not mean it will be accepted in your area. IMHO when you obtain a permit, if that is the case, and the plans review people are not familiar with the socket system they will require engineering which could add significant cost if they will not accept the engineering from the manufacturer. You may want to run this past your permit department, if applicable. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Ron

Gates,
    That is a very good point that local jurisdictions will differ. The upside is that where my property is there are only two permits required. One for septic and one to build. There are no inspections after the septic which we'll put in first so we can hook the TT to it. I checked with the Socket Systems web site and found their engineering reports. I don't know if they would pass in these parts but that is a non-issue for me.
    At least they were engineered to PA standards. We have no snow loads here so I guess those reports are good enough for here?.
    I also checked with the BBB and there were no reports but they are not members either and I was able to confirm that they have indeed been around since the 80's.
    The log system that my Wife wants is definitly approved for this area so I feel pretty good about that, so this is a real consideration.
    Barn plans.com is where it gets iffy on the trusses. I may pay to have those built. I would have to see the plans first and of course you cant see them until you buy them.
    The bottom line is, I am the man of the house, therefore I have no opinion and will probably be building the barn out of logs. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

tperez,
    I bought a set of barnplans.com plans....wound up not using their site-built truss although that was reason I bought the plans. Great plans but their 36ft site built truss couldn't be modified to span 39ft without moving up to 2x10s/12s (too much weight to handle when erecting them). I settled on factory built trusses which where actually cheaper and they are engineered to critical specs. So I recommend you find a local truss manufacturer and price them out in your area, Good ol' TX hill country should have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby or a lumber supplier like the one I used. Ipriced them at THD and although they used the same truss builder, they were higher $. I am finishing a 39x51 barn (pics coming soon) with a scissor truss span of 26ft in loft. These trusses made from 2x4s weigh approx. 125-130 lbs each which is managable for just a couple 2 or 3 guys to set. And my price was 70.00 each (delivery included) which was a real deal I think. Not to discourage you in building your own truss but I believe you will save money if you have them mfgrd. Shoot...the cost of plywood nowdays and the amount needed to make gussets on site built trusses? Anyhow, I wish you all the best in your project. Hope this helps.
    roy

I've been dealing with Socket Systems a bit and they have been helpful. Doing the engineered plan dance with the building inspector now.
    Ken

I have a 28x40' socket system barn going up now. It wasn't without headaches (is any building project?) and mistakes/miscalculations on my part. Overall the system is sound, sturdy and user friendly. I drew up the plans my self and submitted to building dept. They were approved without question. The structure is beefy and very very solid. I went with 8x8's as I am in Hurricane alley. I also ran 8x8's along the ridge between each section. I had to modify the system slightly (put 8x8's directly in the ground @ 8' embedment in sand) to meet code. Obviously this is not how the system is designed to work. I modified it for my purposes and it worked fine. It made for some long pilings...several (4) were 28'. Putting them on a poured slab/foundation wasnt an option for me. I'm in an area prone to occasional flooding, moving tide and consequently the foundation possibly being undermined.

Front View

side view

My job would have been impossible without the Cat Fork lift. We assembled the roof timbers (A-Frame) as a unit. This consisted of (2) 16' 8x8's with 3 sockets (1) on each eave side and (1) at the peak. Just under 1000 lbs total weight each section. Since my perimeter pilings were already in place, we jacked each section of the roof assembly up and slid it down on the perimeter pilings. Getting it square was another matter. Once all were in place we squared the whole mass, then placed the roof purlins. Over the roof purlins we ran 2x4's perpendicular to the purlins and on their flat edge.

I'm interested in building a garage with Socket Systems. I know that they are 6x6, but how deep are they?

I'm not sure I understand your question? The lumber is 6" by 6". There is a huge variety of building sizes you can make using their connectors.