Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

Re: Anybody use Socket Systems to build a barn?

CR295,
    I was wondering how your barn was doing. The barn looks great so far.
    Do you have anymore pictures? How has the Socket system been holding up for you?

TP,
    It was going real slow. Poured the slab in December and then was pulled away from the project for a few months. Anyway I'm back at it full bore now.

I framed in most of the exterior walls this past weekend. The "system" itself is beefy and durable...no problems thus far with any of the fittings or components. There are many choices on how to build the rest of the structure after the socket components are in. That I think is the key to its final soundness. Its held up to several 60+ mph coastal storms with just the roof (giant wing) in place...no side walls. I'm working now to get the exterior walls sheathed and sided before hurricane season begins on June 1.

pics

more

cr295,

It 's looking very nice so far. Sorry it's taking longer than expected. That is never a fun scenario. That's a good roof you got there to stand up to storms like that and stay in place. I hope you don't have to deal with any hurricanes this year. That could really set you back. We've been having our share of severe storms in Texas as of late. We had reports of 74 MPH winds and major power outages. One of our schools built a Green House and two weeks later it was completely destroyed. Let's hope for a light season this year.
    It would appear then that it's a strong system.
    Your place looks nice. I spent some time at Camp LeJeune. Spent most of my time in Jacksonville,Wilmington,and New Bern. Never made it up to Hatteras. Should have, to see the Lighthouse, but never did. Didn't have a car then. That was in the early 80's, I'm quite certain it's all changed now. I liked N.C. even if I was forced to stay there. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    You are doing a fine job. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Keep the photos coming if you would. Enquiring minds want to know. I'm lookng forward to seeing the progress and thanks for the pics.

Hello,

I am attempting to build a garage using the components from SocketSystems, however I am still at the "doing the engineered plan dance" phase of my project.

I had originally thought it would not be a big deal since some other people on this thread have already built structures using SocketSystems within my state. (NC)

I have drawn up my own set of plans and submitted them to my county planning department. The planning department is having difficulty in the following areas:

1) Depth of footings - They are telling me there are no codes which specifically speak this type of design. Can anyone share with me the depth of footings typically used? The planning department uses 2000 lbs/sq in as the load bearing capacity of the soil.

My plans call for 20" diameter by 42" deep for the footing. Does anyone know if this sounds appropriate?

2) Planning also questioned the absence of a ridge beam. Doesn't the use of purlins provide the rigidity needed? I was very confused by this question. I am hoping someone can help me understand how to respond.

Can anyone offer me some guidance?

Take Care
    Jason Kary

Finally...

Some paint and electric service and I can start on the inside this winter...

Jason,
    Sorry I didnt see your post earlier. If you still need help or questions, I'll do what I can for you!