Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Wind

Breaking Wind

Does anyone have a recipe for beans starting with dried ones?

We have one that is very good but it uses canned beans.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Breaking Wind

Gosh, Egon, that's almost like asking if anyone has a recipe for beef. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] There's no end to what you can do with them. But maybe it depends on what kind of beans you're talking about. Of course, the dried beans that we use the most are pinto beans. Wash them, leave them soaking in water overnight and boil'em until they're tender the next day. Sometimes in the crock pot all day; sometimes in the pressure cooker. From that start, let your imagination be your guide. Sometimes, just add a little salt and a few strips of bacon when you cook them, sometimes diced ham. Sometimes add chopped onion when cooking them, although my wife and I like to add raw chopped onion when served instead of cooking it in the beans. I've also found that just dumping in a can of canned chili from the grocery store when cooking (that stuff that's hardly fit to eat just as a bowl of chili) makes a good seasoning.

Egon,

This is one of my favorite bean recipes:

Soak one pound of beans in 4 cups of water for an hour. Drain, put them in a large pot with 3 or 4 whole, peeled cloves of garlic, and one onion, cut in half or quarters. Add five cups of water. Cover and simmer at medium heat for a good hour. While the beans are cooking, mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 teaspoon of paprika (or chili powder, whichever you prefer), a teaspoon of dried oregano, and a teaspoon of ground black pepper. Then dice one onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Dice four slices of thick bacon (remove some of the fat if you wish). Saute the onion and garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil till soft, then add the bacon. After the bacon browns a bit, add the flour/paprika mix and stir. When this is mixed well, add it all to the beans. Cover and cook for another hour. Check the beans for tenderness, and see if there's sufficient liquid. When the beans are done, there should be very little liquid left, but of course, you don't want to burn them.. If you need to add water, I suggest heating it first, so as to maintain the cooking temperature. This dish usually takes about three hours, from start (soaking the beans) to finish, and they're better on the second day.

Hondo

Asking a Texan about a bean recipe is like Forest GUMP asking Babba about shrimp! Texas is the only country that beans can be the main entree! Oh did I say only country?, I meant state!hehheheh! Ok Ok Just kiddin! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Beans, fried taters, and cornbread is sufficient for a good meal anytime. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thank you Hondo.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That certainly does sound like a good recipe.

So that the wind be only broken not shattered... Bring the soaked beans to a rapid boil for a minute or two and pour off that water and start again using a standard recipe just as if you hadn't dumped the first water. This takes out a lot of the polysacharides (complex sugars that some of us have difficulty digesting) which results in the "discovery" of natural gas. Not as effective as "BEANO" (contains enzyme to break down polysacharaides into simple sugars that are more easily digested) but still reduces the gassification effect.

There are variations on the timing and prosess mentioned above. I haven't a clue as to the best.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird:

Thanks for the recipe.

Egon

Pat:
    These are lakeside camper cooking recipies. Shattered wind is of no real concern.

But I will add your advice to the recipies.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]