Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Wind

Re: Breaking Wind

Like Mel Brooks, ehh? "BLAZING CAMPSTOOLS!"

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird, <font color="blue"> Beans, fried taters, and cornbread</font color>
    I grew up on Beans, Fried Potatoes and fried bread dough. Mighty fine eating.

Egon,

You're welcome. The leftover beans are also good on nachos, in soup, and even make a good basis for a sauce. I love grilled pork tenderloin with black bean sauce.

Al:

Did you just hear a certain Diet Gurhu roll over ??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, becareful with the amount of dried material that you start with. Back when I was in school it seem like a good idea to put the whole bag in the crock pot which was about a little more than half full. The amount of water they absorb is incredible. A few hours later we had two pots going. Before it was over the crock and all the pots we had were on the stove. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] We made a lot of good friends that day. Needless to say since we were broke, which was probably the reason for the experiment, we ate beans the rest of the week. Beans for breakfast was interesting but it did allow some money to be freed up for beverages. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got home Friday night and expecting a big dinner and guess what mom had fixed. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I could have cried I just went upstairs and to some much needed rest. Be careful, be very careful!!

Patrick

Welcome back Poorboy

I'll just do a little each time.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Egon, I really hadn't left but was unable to post. I'm glad I can now because it's Feb.. and this board needs to get to hopping.

I used to make this a couple times a year. I can't really tell you exact cooking times because I always cooked it a different way (open fire, grill, oven, burried with coals), but if you make it in a real dutch oven (cast iron) it's hard to cook it too long. It was always a kind of set it and forget it. Maybe 3-4 hours in an oven at 300 maybe 6... depends on what I was doing while they were cooking. Sometimes I would make them the day before and reheat in an oven. They reheat well.
    I got the recipe in an old Field &amp; Stream (1983 the page says) and there's a lot to it, but they're the best I ever had.

2 lbs navy beans, 3-1/2 qts water, 2 onions, 6 whole cloves, 1/2 lb salt pork, 2 lbs hot dogs or ham chunks (I never added extra meat), 1 tsp salt, 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/2 c dark molasses, 1-1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1 c chile sauce, dash of tobasco sauce.

Cover beans with 2" cold water and soak overnight
    Drain liquid, add 3 qts fresh water, cover and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
    Stick the cloves in the onions, cut slashes in the salt pork, mix the remaining ingredients with 1/2 c boiling water and add to the beans. Make sure there is enough water to cover beans and add if needed.
    Put the lid on the dutch oven and cook for a long time. You can tell when they're done and the smell is incredible!

I may have to make some of these myself. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sounds good Fred. Just as long as I don't make them in California.

Egon

Egon,
    booy fred's recipe sounds delicious.
    Only thing I would change is the beans, quite simply Anasazi beans are the best you will ever taste, they are grown locally by Adobe Mills, Google their website for a treat.

Here's a fav of mine.
    Anasazi &amp; pinto beans with hominy &amp; green chiles
    Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c Dried anasazi beans
    1 1/2 c Dried pinto beans
    10 c Water
    1 ts Salt
    3 c Dried indian hominy
    3 Green anaheim chiles

Instructions:

Soak the beans overnight in water to cover. In the morning rinse the beans with cold water and place in a large pot with fresh water to cover. Stir in the salt cover and simmer slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the beans are tender. Add water when necessary and stir occasionally to prevent the beans from burning. Add hominy and simmer covered 1 hour stirring occasionally. The hominy and beans should be very soft and moist but not too watery. While the beans and hominy are cooking roast peel seed and dice the chiles. Sprinkle on top of the cooked beans for garnish. ***** Most southwestern Indians grow beans. The Hopis grow a variety of beans in terraces along their high mesas where the crop is irrigated by natural springs. After the harvest the beans are dried and stored. Some beans are used for ceremonial purposes - from weddings to Kachina dances - while others are used for their day-to-day meals. For suburban and city dwellers I've found that pinto beans white beans or red beans work well but I suggest you also experiment with some of the other varieties of beans - like anasazi beans - that are now available commercially. Or you may want to be adventuresome and grow your own variety. To round out this meal the beans can be served with Lamb Stuffed Green Chiles Pan Fried Trout or Venison Steaks and one of the many Indian breads such as Piki bread Indian Frybread or Adobe Bread. ***Note*** Anasazi Navajo for "the ancient ones" is the name given to the Native Americans who created the cliff dwellings in the Southwest. The sweet-tasting anasazi bean one of the first foods cultivated by Native Americans is high in protein and other nutrients. It also has a beautiful color.