Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock Builders

Re: Clock Builders

Thank you Guys!

I figured clock repair was a lost art in our disposable society. I found a couple shops in the yellow pages. Funny how sometimes we miss the obvious.

Slarose is a good web site.

Thanks again.

There is a watch and clock shop in Oklahoma City the name and address of which I can supply if needed. It is operated by a guy who started out as a hobbyist and stays quite busy. I was there a couple weeks ago with a friend who collects antique pocket watches. I talked to both of the clocksmiths (hourologists?) and when I uncrate the grand father clock we moved out here it will go to them if it isn't in perfect operating condition.

I was impressed with those two guys. They do full tear down and rebuild of mechanical time pieces from itsy bitsy ladies wrist watches to big grand fathers.

I wasn't navigating but I think it was on the east side of town north of I-40 around Midwest City or...? Let me know if you need contact info and I'll dig it up.

I'd be tempted to clean it with color TV tuner cleaner if you can find it. It is a good volatile (ozone destroying no doubt) degreaser with a small quantity of silicone lubricant. It cleans well and leaves a small amount of sil-lube. Failing that, do a two part... spray it with a good degreaser, really drenching the mechanical parts and then before moving anything, hit all the pivots (points of friction) with a small quantity of either sil-lube or whatever a watch repair shop recommends. Sperm oil used to be used for its longevity and resistance to oxidation causing gumming. I don't suggest supporting the whaling industry to get the oil though.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a friend who collects antique pocket watches

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat (or anyone else), I had an uncle who was "Chief Clerk to the Superintendant for All Lines" of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad when he died in 1943 in Baltimore. I have his watch; a gold Hamilton with a penknife on the other end of the chain. The watch looks and runs like new, although at one time I wrote the Hamilton company while it still existed and got a letter from them that it was made in 1911 (and I've lost the letter). I also have his wallet with a number of documents from his job back then. I have wondered if anyone knows of a railroad or watch museum that would be interested in it.

Bird, I think it is a wonderful thing that you are offering to do. I'm sure the watch is a wonderful piece which brings you joy of ownership but displayed in a museum it will be a joy for countless visitors for decades to come.

I strongly recommend that ou give consideration to the B&amp;O Railroad Museum. http://www.borail.org/

You can go to there web page and on the left you'll see a selection list which includes "SUPPORT" If yo put the mouse on SUPPORT you get a couple choices to the right and one of them is "ABOUT US" Put the mouse cursor on ABOUT US and you can get to email links to their officers.

<a href="mailto:deputydirector@borail.org"&gt;deputyd irector@borail.org&lt;/a&gt; this is the email address of the deputy director and chief curator. He should be THE GUY to talk with.

Here is the SENIOR CURATOR... &lt;a href=&amp;quot;mailto:seniorcurator@borail.org">de putydirector@borail.org"&gt;deputydirector@borail. org&lt;/a&gt; this is the email address of the deputy director and chief curator. He should be THE GUY to talk with.

Here is the SENIOR CURATOR... &lt;a href=&amp;quot;mailto:seniorcurator@borail.org</a>

Again, Kudos to you for thinking of putting that treasure where it can be apreciated by so many. In Navy talk... BZ

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Fantastic, Pat!! I can't imagine what happened but some time ago, I did a Google search trying to find out anything I could about the B&amp;O railroad and whether any museum existed and simply could not find anything. And now you promptly lead me to exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely be contacting them.

Bird, by some slim chance you change your mind......

http://www.klockit.com/products/prod...IIIIA&amp;tab=

This is a kit that displays pocket watches.

Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Gary, I inherited the watch in 1981 and for the next 8 years, it was displayed on the mantle above the fireplace (with the watch running and keeping good time) hanging in a clear glass bulb? (for lack of a better description) on a walnut base. But I stored it away when we sold the house and started traveling in 1989.

Bird, I am pleased to be able to help you. So many of us have profited from your sage advice and been informed or entertained by you with few chances to return the favor. I am delighted to be of service to you. I'm still way behind on my private "ballance sheet" but not quite so far now.

I thought it looked like a good match. As the B&amp;O museum is an affiliate of the Smithsonian, you can't get much higher on the museum food chain and your offering should be highly desirable to them.

Pat, Thank you, I have actually got some of that good tv cleaner.

I checked the yellow pages and didn't see anything in the Midwest City direction, but did see a couple shops south side OKC.

I will get back with you, if the "once in 40 years" cleaning doesn't work.

This clock is really nothing antique, just a childhood memory for me. I believe it is an emperor, probably thousands of them around.

Thanks again!

Pat, I sent them an e-mail yesterday with a picture of the watch and a couple of my uncle's ID cards, and included a list of most of the other documents; one of which is an "emergency call list" listing about 60 employees of the B&amp;O at the time, along with their addesses, telephone numbers, and pay rate. Some of the employees were making $.95 an hour, while my uncle was getting $332 a month; not bad for 1944.