Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of hay is 'jiggs'?

Re: What kind of hay is \'jiggs\'?

Dick, Thanks for the info. That is a pretty standard propagation technique, no surprises. I was just unfamiliar withthe term "jig" or jigging. One of those regional things probably. Around here folks talk abouit sprigging.

Thanks again,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: What kind of hay is \'jiggs\'?

cowboydoc, I was very fortunate to do my research vicariously and not as a personal experiment in the field. They had me interested but not hooked. I checked out independent sources of info as best I could: extension agent etc. The concensus of opinion was that the world feeder variety of bermuda would perform like crazy if and only if it got plenty of water and fertilizer. With our typical rainfall and without higher than typical fertilization rates, the performance was not noticibly different from other locally favored bermudas.

Where it SHINES is this: We are all faminiar with the effect known as diminishing returns (doc excuse the lecture but other readers may need some more background) if you give the grass a little more water and a little more fertilizer you get more tons per acre of grass. If you continue to add more fertilizer and water you continue to get more tons of grass per acre until finally you reach a point where the increase in grass per acre doesn't go up as much per ton of fertilizer as it did at lower application rates. At this point additional units of input result in less of an increase in units of output. In fact, if you add enough fertilizer, you will begin to ovrfertlize and actually reduce the tons of grass per acre. You will have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Now to WORLD FEEDER...

World feeder can handle higher fertilizer application rates. Its point of diminishing returns is at a higher rate of application. Therefore a given acreage is capable of more tons per acre on world feeder than many other bermudas B U T it is at a high cost of fertilizer and requires prodigious quantities of water to get these amazing yields. For many folks there is an option to have more acres in bermuda and a cost savings in reduced rates of fertilization so they opt to NOT choose World Feeder.

Since in my area the best advice (Extension agent has seen it tried and has followed test results of experiments) and examples (some tried it) I have opted to not go with World Feeder. It may be right for some folks but with the price of fertilizer predicted in the future I'm not sure if there would be a return on investment. For me it would be like buying a 200 MPH Maserati and not wanting to pay the price of av-gas to fuel it and having no place to drive it over 70MPH. Great potential but likely to remain unrealized.

Your mileage may vary,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"