Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of hay is 'jiggs'?

What kind of hay is \'jiggs\'?

Just wondering....

Re: What kind of hay is \'jiggs\'?

Try here for a description.

Well, I'll tell ya, I was going to sprig a five acre patch with coastal that my MIL has but have decided to plant jiggs after reading the article from the website Bird provided. I need a pretty aggressive bermuda for her patch since she insists on keeping her 5 cows on that and a 2 acre patch she has access to. I was going to sprig it but I would have to keep the cows off it for awhile. Buying hay for them while it gets started is expensive. Sooo, I'll just wait till June or so for the jigg tops to get going and Jiggy jigg jig it.
    Dick

Bird, Does Jiggs do well when not irrigated and fertilized. I was excited about "World Feeder" till I found out that it was only average in performance untill you really hit it hard with water annd fertilizer to get the "outstanding performance." It apparently has a higher point where diminishing returns set in.

If Jiggs does really well as compared to other Bermudas on just our typical unreliable rain and litle or no fertilizer then I am definitely interested.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I don't know anything about "jiggs"; never even heard of it until this thread and found a Google search turned up quite a number of sites. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry if my post made it sound like I knew something. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Pat, from what I know about Jiggs is that it's a form of Bermuda. Larger stems and heartier than regular bermuda. VERY AGGRESIVE. If you could water it, better, but it will do ok with the rain. Will do better if fertilized. I'm going to fertilize my 25 acre patch in March. Normally, they don't Jigg the grass until June or so becauseThats how they get the jiggs, they actually scrape, mow to get the jigg tops. Alot of guys are going to it in my area of Tx. Hope this helps.

Dick

Maybe these sites will help if you haven't already gone to it.

http://southwestfarmpress.com/mag/fa...mans_headache/

http://tcebookstore.org/tmppdfs/4725701-E179.pdf

Sorry Bird, I'll look elsewhere. I guess I'm stil gunshy after my experience with "WORLD FEEDER." Great stuff if you have the water and fertilizer and a need to maximize production from a limited area.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When you say "jig" the grass, what do you mean? I know about sprigging bermuda grass but never heard about jigging it. Same thing????

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The Jiggs is clipped and baled in the morning and spread with a bale chopper as soon as possible the same day on well-watered, disked ground.

"You need to have pieces with about five or six nodes to make sure you get good rooting," White said. "Each node represents a root source."

The ground is cultipacked after the tops are scattered, and that's the end of the farming part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat, I hope this helps. Down here in the summer time of my part of Tx, we don't get that much rain, except last year, and I've never heard of anyone irrigating thier fields. Too expensive anyway. Jiggs do well in the summers just on rain alone if thats what your thinking about.

Here's some telephone numbers I got off a buisness card at my local vet clinic:

Ken Dernehl
    Farm: 830-788-7195
    Mobile: 713-376-8754
    Waelder, Tx

This guy might be able to answer any questions you might have.

Dick

Pat tell me about your experience with world feeder? I made the mistake of contacting them once and they've never let up trying to get us to try it. I have always been gunshy of it and it seems like you were shot by it. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]