Thread: minimum btu's on a woodstove??

minimum btu\'s on a woodstove??

bought a new woodstove and replaced an old osburn stove[20 years old]and now the new stove blast me out.most the time the house is 90 as soon as i make a fire?? any recomadations??

Re: minimum btu\'s on a woodstove??

Make a smaller fire.
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If we have a good bed of coals and the house is warm enough I will throw some softwood like pine in to burn rather than oak.

I think I am doing essentially what Pat is recomending....I am reducing the bed of coals.

Funny wife story.....A couple of winters ago I came in about 4pm as it was starting to rain. The house was nice and warm as I walked in. A moment later I noticed it was almost hot and I mentioned that to my wife as she said hello. At that time I heard a faint whoooshing noise. As I walked into the TV room the stove was roaring so I said the fire was too big. Her reply was that sometimes it gets too big at which point she opened the door and threw a large glass of water on it, shut the door and wondered off to the kitchen without another word. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I laughed so hard I about passed out. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

mfaley, I'm getting this mental image of a woman driving a car with a stuck accelerator by modulating the brake pedal to control speed.

Rare is the lady who never treats a thermostat like an on/off switch, turning it on (all the way up when she is cold) and off (way down when she is hot.) How do you commmunicate the concept of setting the thermostat to the temp you want and believing that the room will warm to that temp just as fast as it would if you turn it all the way up?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Exactly!

Or people (ladies and all) who turn the car heater all the way up as soon as the car is started.