Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on shower/bath surround

Update on shower/bath surround

I have gone to HD and McCoys that we have in Bastrop, no Lowes in the area, and it's a 45 minute drive from my house, and the plastics that they have costs $25.00 to $35.00 a sheet.
    The wife about cr_____ her pants. I need 5 sheets of this stuff to do the job. I could get a fiberglass surround for $135.00 but that would mean I would have to take down the old stuff. Not a nice thought. Anyway, I'm still looking. May have to go to Houston to see if I can get the suff any cheaper.
    I'll keep you informed. This thing is turning into a project allright.

Dick Austin

Re: Update on shower/bath surround

Dick, that is what I call desperate- going into Houston. It makes me shudder.
    (Moderators: where is the little yellow face for scared senseless?)

I just redid our tub/shower.

The tiles had been attached to normal drywall and the grout had failed causing the drywall to be mush.

I stripped it out from tub to ceiling all around the tub and replaced with green board drywall, then put in a tub surround kit. The whole process took a couple days but wasn't to bad. I also put in a new Delta single handle faucet while I had the wall open and raised the shower head a foot, it is nice to take a shower with out bending backwards to wash my hair.

Have you watched the movie, "The Money Pit?" Maybe you should watch it (again.) If you like double features... add on "The Duplex."

By the way... how many hours making how many trips at todays travel costs, including how many meals away from home can yo make before you have spent a big fraction of the cost of the materials at the first place you found them? This doesn't include any consideration for your or anyone elses time.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, Dick is also about to start on his own house. He needs to watch "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I know what you mean on the driving around and pricing stuff to the point of futility, Pat.

I have a set of hardware stores I hit. There is a lumberyard / hardware place that is closest which I use sometimes but I don't really care for them as their customer service isn't very good, I think they prefer contractors vs homeowners. There is a small hardware store a bit farther that is very nice, I always stop and check to see if they have what I want. A bit farther is the farm & home place, I get a lot of farm specific stuff there.

And if all else fails, 10 miles down the highway to the Home Depot.

haha.

Boy are you lucky to have so many suppliers so close. I have to drive about 13 miles to the nearest hardware store which is very small and stocks nearly nothing (I go there less than 10% of the time.) Lowe's is nearly 30 miles, Home Depot is about 45 or so. Same story for Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Orcheln's, etc.

We aren't EXACTLY in the middle of nowhere but you can see it from here.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat; lets not complain about distance to critical needs. There is the isolation one desires.

My case is much different. From the sunroom I can see the hardware store, grocery store, a mall, and within two hundred feet there are two pubs. One has excellent food and a deck overviewing the river, library two blocks down, very good clothing store one block down and the hair clipping place about 150 away, a bakery about 200 feet away and several floor covering stores that are within 5 min. walk. Dentist is right across the street. Police station maybe a block and a half away. A stumbling inebriated soul on the back deck had a three car 90 second respone time.

The hardware store stocks one of the best tool displays I've seen. The only unfortunate part is the lumber/concrete supplies portion of their operation is at least 1/2 a mile away.

The Hospital is located within sight and is about a 15 minute walk away.

And joy of joys; a newly opened Wallys world has sprouted about a mile away.

Despite the location the back yard will still allow the privacy necissary to kill grass and avoid a walk to the house.

Unfortunetly the tractor dealer locations are all about a 50 or so mile senic drive away. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There are complaints of a small yard but at this moment it is accomadating 4 cars, one truck, a camper, tractor and a twenty foot trailer as well as a backyard garden shed and kiln shed.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"A stumbling inebriated soul on the back deck had a three car 90 second respone time."
    Egon, I hope you're not telling us this is a personal, close friend of yours. (Namely, you?) [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Egon, Bragadocia does not become you! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

On the bright side we get more scenic drives in the country than many folks. A scenic drive to the grocery store, a scenic drive to the hardware store, etc.

""""J O Y .OF. J O Y S""" Wally world! Maybe, maybe not. Wally World has been known to RUIN small towns, driving the original stores out of buisness with their LOW prices. Then the proprietor of your well stocked hardware store can work in the hardware dept at Wally World. Worst case, after ruining the "OLD" downtown area the town goes into a state of inplosion that ultimately causes Wally World to leave but only after the town is irreperably harmed. It is pure rape and plunder. And now for the bad news...