Thread: shower/bathtub in mobile home

Hybrid View

shower/bathtub in mobile home

My mother in-law has a 1 yr old mobile home and in her master shower/bathtub it looks like she is getting what looks like checking on her shower walls. I don't know what the manufacturer installs for their shower walls but it looks to me like some kind of masonite covered with a plastic laminate. My question is: Can I repair this possibly with some kind of polyurathane or should I just go ahead and replace this stuff? I'm sure with this mobile home, if I take down the shower walls I'll probably end up having to replace the drywall or whatever they use. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Dick Austin

Re: shower/bathtub in mobile home

Dick, someone else on the forum may already be familiar with your problem and can help, but since I'm not, if it were me, I'd start by contacting the manufacturer to find out exactly what was used to build it.

At one year old is there still warranty applicable.

Egon

Egon, don't I wish. When she bought it, it was still brand new but 4 yrs old (1999 model, bought in 2004), they only gave her a 1 yr warranty. Trying to get these people to do any kind of warranty work was like trying to raise the dead. By the way, never,ever buy a mobile home from CAVCO. They're a mobile home sales\manufacturer out of Arizona.

Dick

That's a brand I'd never heard of.

Is there room to overlay the walls with some of the plastic sheet stuff? It is about 1/16 thick or so. I used it at my previous house to cover sheetrock to form a shower wall. I was installing a corner shower kit but needed to water proof the wall higher than the plastic sheeting that came with the kit. I used a light easy to clean pebble grain. It is super stong and water proof. IT is a bit hard to cut as it is reinforced with fibers but you can saw it or score it and break it. I used the prefinished foam plastic trim (imitation wood) to trim and to cover the seam where the two materials met. tlhe trim is 100% waterproof, easy to cut and can be glued or nailed.

You could just add this water proof layer over her walls.

Worked well for me. Your mileage may vary. Also, if you tear the wall vcovering off you may find NO SHEETROCK but instead find that the stuff yo removed is the wall. Don't be suprised if the framing isn't 2x4 or unusually strong. If my dire predictions/concerns come true, you'd be be better off gluing on some waterprofing layer than most alternative paths.

Let us know what turns out.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"