Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog obedience hand-signals?

dog obedience hand-signals?

I did novice obedience in college but I can't remember the signal for sit. Isn't that dumb, probably most used... can anyone help me. Do you know it? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: dog obedience hand-signals?

I just use my index figure and point and they both sit. I have no idea if that is correct or not. They seem to think so.

as far as i know the signal is what ever you make it. we use a flat hand with a downward motion.

I am no expert here. I seem to recall that our friends, who are defense/police dog trainers will use anything the handler wants but generally seem to use the following:
    1. Stop - Hand out with palm flat and the palm on a vertical plane
    2. Sit - Hand flat with palm down. Then with a small sweeping motion rotate your hand to so the palm is up. Also accompany this with a slight lift of the hand.
    3. Down - Start with the hand a bit higher, palm down and then drop your hand about 6-9" and hold it there.

Thats what we use and they seem to be easy to see for the dogs - not that they always listen.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mark

Thats the ones that I was taught! THANK YOU. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

<font color="purple"> 2. Sit - Hand flat with palm down. Then with a small sweeping motion rotate your hand to so the palm is up. Also accompany this with a slight lift of the hand </font color>

That's what we've always used, including for the police K-9. Not so formal for the first part (palm down), more the upward sweeping motion.

Thanks Hank. I am no expert. I just recall seeing our friends do it that way.

A good defense/police dog is fun to watch as they practice for the real world.

Mark

<font color="purple"> A good defense/police dog is fun to watch as they practice for the real world </font color>

Fun to watch in the real world, too [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] as I have been able to do on ride-alongs with my wife. They work with hand signals alone, no voice commands. Remarkable to watch. At the Pentagon crime scene, the cadaver recovery work was so intense he was working completely independently; on a find, he would seek out the nearest person to present the evidence to.

I have never seen one work in real life (if you assume tv clips aren't real life).

My friends had the top defense dogs in the nation for a number of years and they also trained a lot of personal protection dogs. One time we went over for dinner and they were just showing a client how to work with his new protection dog.

When the dog had the bad guy stopped, the dog held the side of his face high up against the bad guys inner thigh. The owner asked that if the bad guy were to try to move the dog bite at the bad guys crotch. I saw them demonstrate and I sure would not want to be a bad guy or the guy in the bite suit.

This is the same customer that wanted the dog trained to bite harder when the handler yelled "Stop" or "Stop biting". I understand that this customer is very wealthy and travels with his dog everywhere. Interesting concept....

Mark

Thanks for sending that! I feel like a dummy having to ask, in college, I watched the competion rings like crazy. I did novice in the ring, but got my degree, married, preg..... Any thing before kids is hard to remember now. Looking to get another dog that the kids are older and couldn't remember the handsignals I did have down before. That is exactly the one we used. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere