Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Covering?

Wall Covering?

Got drywall up in the house during christmass break and half of the drywall is finished and sanded while the rest is waiting the last coat. Starting to paint tomorrow in living and dining/kitchen area. Scaffolds have been up so long I can't remember what it was like to walk through without severe brain damage. I hate getting hit in the same place by the same board.

Anyway, here is my problem, my wife and I had the deck built the full lenght of the back of the house which is 56 ft. The end of the house that the dining room/kitchen we had the first 14 ft. of the deck enclosed as a sunporch/ screened in porch. Originally a screened design until the price and weather concerns lead us to use storm windows with screens all around. Still has pressure treated 2x6's for the floor. It's going to be a nice area but I wouldn't admit that to the wife since that was the one design addition I wasn't all that thrilled about. We are having problems deciding on what would be the best to cover tthe ceiling and the short walls with. This is an area that you see when you walk in through the front door and walk out onto from the dining area. It needs to look nice but I'm not sure about what to cover it in. Hopefully it is dry but I hate to have to worry about running back to the house if I happen to leave the windows up since the weather hits against that side. Especially since I do well to get out of it myself let alone back to the house. It's also an unheated area that would be exposed to the outside summertime humidity. Usually worse after that shower I find myself escaping from. Man I still haven't gotten over last summer:&gt
    Any ideas out there?

Patrick

Re: Wall Covering?

It would appear this area will have to be finished to standards of the rest of the house interior to maitain continuity.

The ambience your wife wishes to end up with may be the deciding factor.

A solid wood product, not panelling, may be one solution. Another, this perhaps sounding a little silly could be cement board covered with textured plaster for the walls.

Egon

Patrick, I have a similar set up. I put a sunroom on our house in 1999, and attached a 12 x 16 screen porch to the side of the sun room.

I wanted everything to be water resistant in case rain blew in while we were away. The floor is tongue and groove 3 inch boards that are "pene treated" (spelling). This treatment is a light form of pressure treating that makes it weather resistant but it can not be installed touching the soil like pressure treated lumber can. After the porch was done, I had someone sand the floor like you would sand hardwood. I then put 3 coats of Spar Eurathane on the floor. The eurathane makes the floor look like the old wood boats you used to see. The eurathane also is a nice finish that repells water. I have had rain water blow on it while I was away. After sitting on it for a week until it evaporated, the finish was a little dull where the minerals in the water were left. I used a damp mop to get rid of the minerals, and the floor looked like new again. I would highly recommend this floor finish.

My walls between the windows are about 8 inches wide. I ran hardiplank vertically and attached it with finish nails. Caulked the nail holes and painted it white like the window trim.

Under the windows, I ran hardiplank horizontally. The short wall is only 9 inches high, so one stick of Haridplank was all it took.

For the ceiling I used 3 inch tongue and groove bead board. It was easy to install and the nails are hidden by the grooves. For finish I just used a couple coats of poly.

Both the wife and I really like the look, plus we know everything out there is water resistant.

I started out using just screens, but then ordered some storm windows that I put up in the winter. The storm windows are single panes of glass. In the spring I take them down and put up the screens.

It is dark now, but tomorrow, if you want, I'll be glad to snap a picture so you can see how it turned out.
    Bob

Bob, my wife and I would love to see a picture of it. We can't wait to see it, this sounds like something we were looking for.

Patrick

Patrick, the first picture is of the ceiling. This is 3" beadboard planks with 2 coats of poly applied.

The next picture is a closeup of the floor and the bottom of the windows. As I said earlier, the material on the bottom of the windows and the uprights beside the windows is hardiplank, painted white. I had some hardiplank left over from the addition and decided to use it here.

The floor is 3" "pene treated" planks that were sanded like you would sand a hardwood floor. I then applied 3 coats of a clear satin spar eurathane (spelling). These windows are facing west, where we get most of our rain from. I used to worry about water blowing in, but since fininshing with the spar, I just let the water sit on the floor now. The floor was finished in the summer of 2000, so you can see how well it holds up.

The last picture shows the whole wall so you can perhaps put everything into perspective.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Bob

Very Nice!!

Looks very nice. We're using bead board on the ceiling and walls of our three seasons room. It'll be painted gloss white.

That chair on the right side of your picture looks nice and comfy!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, that is a nice chair, however, I would like for the back to be higher. So far have not found one with a back that is high enough for me - I'm 6'2" and would like to find a chair where I could just put my head back and take a quick nap. Can't do it on those chairs, but the tilt and swivel feature is great.

Bob