Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do i need this tool?

Re: Do i need this tool?

On our home, the builder just left the table saw out, chained to a tree. They'd cover it with plastic, and it seemed none the worse for being outside during a number of storms.

Bret, we left my radial arm saw at the construction site when building my brother's house, and covered it with a tarp, but unfortunately, it did suffer some rust.

I cast my vote for having a radial arm saw. I'm told that the big sliding compound miter saws (I have a DeWalt 12 inch) has replaced the radial arm saw but I say phoey! I also have an old Craftsman RAS (an old cast iron beheamoth that is 5th handed at least) and it does things that can't be done in the NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP with a miter saw. I like both! I also have a Milwaukee miter saw (non sliding) that I got for about 60-70% off when a lumber yard went out of business (got it before I got slider) and I need it like I need flies at a picnic.

I have many accessories for my RAS, including a shaper blade with interchangeable knives that allow you to make your own molding trim pieces.

If you can get "into" the RAS at a decent price and it is in good shape I don't think you will regret it. You might want to use it later in trim phases and even later to do hobby projects. It will NOT replace a sliding compound miter saw! A sliding compound miter saw willl NOT replace a good RAS either!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have a Delta 12" radial arm, all cast iron, a 1978 vintage that I'm getting rid of. If you were nearby we could make a nice little deal.

Dick; WHAT!!!! No sawzall? You won't need one all the time, but they are nice when you need it. I use mine to cut steel, PVC pipe and conduit, and even wood.

Looking over your list, there might be room for more. A good framing square, and a Swanson speed square come to mind. I have both the 6" and 12" speed squares. They are nice for layout, can be used for a circsaw guide, and are pretty cheap and durable. I also use a Robolaser, inexpensive as far as lasers go, but still around $400. And levels, get a good 6 footer, a 3 footer, and the one I most, 24".

Consider using one of those PC routers for cutting out door and window openings if either one is 2 horse plus. Just use a 2" flush cutting bit, saves a lot of time, and you get a nice cut. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

JohnDay, your right, I could use a good sawzall. I just picked up a DeWalt 1/2" drive hammer drill that's cool. I do have the speed square and the framing square. I could also use a good right angle drill too. I think I will go ahead and get the RAS. "Gotta have tools to do the job honey", I said as I gave her the receipt. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hmmm, what else?

Dick Austin

Dick; I had a 1/2" dimwit hammerdrill too. I used it for years untill I managed to burn it up. I've got Millwaukees version now, but still wish I had the dimwit. Angle drill? I've got the Millwaukee super holehawg. It's huge, and it's got enough torque that it could spin you in circles. I keep somewhat of a light grip on it in case it wants to lockup. The best way to use it is to brace it aganst a semi-immovable object like a stud or floor joist when possible. How did I find this out......... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    brace it aganst a semi-immovable object like a stud

[/ QUOTE ]

When my brothers were in the home building business, one of them was using the holehawg drilling through the base plate to run electrical wiring and it spun him around and used him to knock out 3 studs. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And I was helping the other brother build a 1/8" steel plate box to mount a generator under the bed of his truck one night when he used that drill to make the holes to run the electric wires through and when it hung, it spun his hand around and knocked a really big dent in that eighth inch steel plate with the back of his hand. I don't know how it kept from breaking bones in his hand. They're great drills, but dangerous. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird; That hurts just thinking about it. Sounds like your bro was pretty lucky. I was using a 4 1/8" holesaw on mine when it decided to lockup on me, drilling thru a rim joist. Took two times before I learned. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Those things have a buttload of torque [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]