Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about Mules!

Re: How about Mules!

ok. learning how to attach pics ..old dog new tricks kind a thing LOL hope this works if it does ill send a few more this one is of maudie, and me getting ready to trail ride up in the mts at cranberry wva keeping fingers crossed it works

woo hoo! i did it!!! ok heres another one if me and general jackson{my jack} packing day camp gear. im riding miss june bug{a paso hinney} theres a camp shelter 4 miles up the trail we pack up there sometimes and cook out.. seeing this pic gives me camping fever!!!

I can sure understand how you can enjoy that!

Is there a strategy in breeding to other breeds to get a certain type of animal. I know it horses we can shoot for different builds, tempermants, minds, cow etc by working the bloodlines. Do you do the same when you breed to an Arab Vs QH Vs Paso Vs etc?

Mark

yes.if you breed your jack to a crazy mare{one that can not be trusted, handled etc} then you get one bad mule! look for easy laid back mares not spookie, .our baby mule born this year is out of an arabin, we have her mom shes a good horse loves people. kids expecialy. and shell throw that tail up and head up and move out fast. her baby is a big bum loves pepole, doing real good in training. but she sure can move. when she gets old enough to ride better have polygrip in the saddle seat ! lol. i think she could be a cutter mule the way she can cut in the middle of a full gallop and never miss a beat.. heres a pic of her 1 day old about 8 hrs

I would love to own a mule, maybe sometime soon. There is a beautiful tan colored mule down the road from us. My 6 year old has heard his Grandpa say, "Oh the Braves got beat like a rented mule!" and other expressions of beatings like a rented mule. Anyway, when we first moved out to the country and we were driving by that nearby farm, I said to the kids, "Look guys, there's a mule." And my six year old says, "Is it rented?" Don't know if that comes across funny on a forum like this, but we all had a great laugh about it.

I don't own a mule, but my neighbor was just blessed with the birth of a spotted mule. She keeps it hidden way in the back so that it doesn't get stolen.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

rented mule. i never heard that expression before. im sure that must of been a bad beat'en LOL well congrats to your neighbor who has the spoted long ear. they are worth more than plain blankets in show. i have seen some that have been crossed with zebra got stripes on legs really intresting..my jack is strawberry roan, but he thorws the cross and stripe both last yrs babies had it and from different moms. i should sell my arab mule colt, but i havent tryed to hard LOL ok,,,,any.. lol. thats why i have her mom at my friends house now. i dont want another baby till i sell this one. Rose

Not too much of a mule story, but I'll tell it anyway.

As a recent rural resident (two years) I was quite suprised when two mules showed up in my yard one Sunday morning. I called the Sheriff's office because I didn't know where they belonged. Deputy came by about 30 minutes later and told me where they belonged and he went to notify the owner.

The owner came to walk them home, only about 1/4 mile as it turned out.

They showed up again two weeks later and I just went out to pet them and walked them home myself.

They are often in a pasture where our road comes off the county road. I just never noticed them as it's got trees and brush in it.

Now when I stop at the road to pick up the paper, sometimes one of them wanders over to be petted. In fact I'm rather disapointed when he's not there.

So I've made the adjustment from a suburban homeowner who got upset if somebody walked on my lawn to someone who now thinks mules in the front yard are OK rather than a problem.

And I think I'm better off for it!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Yep, I'd heard that expression about "beaten like a rented mule"; probably have to be an old timer to be familiar with that. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My granddaddy farmed with a team of horses instead of mules, but when I was 5 years old, Dad rented a place in the country. We lived there for about 6 years and every Spring Dad borrowed, instead of rented, a team of mules from our landlord to plow a garden. When I was 7-9 years old, it was fun to drive that team from the landlord's barn to our place, then Dad did the plowing of course, and those mules would just plod along all day. But going home, there was no way I could drive the team because I wasn't big and strong enough to hold them back. When they knew they were headed for the barn, it was a runaway unless someone pretty strong had hold of the reins. Once we had to got through a gate on a gravel drive and I couldn't get the gate open, so Dad told me to hold the mules while he opened the gate; had the reins tied together and around my waist so I could lean back into them. That day we were just dragging the plow laid over on its side instead of pulling the wagon with the plow in the wagon. But when the gate opened, we shot through that gate, nearly running over Dad. He was mad at me for letting them nearly run over him, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. He managed to get out of the way, then grab me and the reins as we went by. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]