Thread: barley straw/grain

barley straw/grain

I've got a 2 acre pond that I want to treat with barley straw to control algae. Haven't been able to find in Oklahoma baled barley straw. It's too expensive to buy out-of-state and ship in. I was wondering if anyone would know if barley grain would work? TIA....diadhem

Re: barley straw/grain

I don't think you'd get the same effect but you might get one you and the neighbors would enjoy, especially if you also added some hopps. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The thought hadn't even entered my mind when I posted this. I can see my mallards now acting like Daffy Duck and the turtles on their backs just paddling around in circles [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ....diadhem

I read your post and would just love to find a nice country place to live. But as of now I live in one of the most corrupt small towns in Ohio. Because of my job I can't move yet, but would love to live in the country. If it's o.k. I would like to post a site for my town and the gangsters that are running it .?http://dougdeepe.com/ It's portsmouthohio.info also. It's quite interesting, and would like to hear some comments from other readers about what's going on here? I just wish I could move into a nice quiet place in the country !

Not to worry. The ducks will have converted the barley long before it has a chance to sprout and be malted!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

They will be very happy ducks though!!

Egon

I was once an Ohioan,(Hubbard), near gangster city of Youngstown, playground of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh factions. Moved to Oklahoma in 1983 from job transfer and WILL not go back!!! Love it out in the country and as anyone that lives east of Oklahoma City will tell you, "if you're not living in Oklahoma, you're only camping out".

I don't know about the grain. My 15 yr. old daughter is doing a science fair project on the effects of algae when mixed with cornmeal. The chemical make-up of cornmeal is almost identical to that of barley straw and the results, in a lab setting, are almost exactly the same. Cornmeal is less expensive, more available, and easier to apply. If anyone has an interest and wants to pursue this, I can get some of the sources from my daughter that she used for research. PM me.

Lay it on us PLEASE.

Also I have read where Rye straw is good for pond clarification.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"