Thread: Alone In The Wilderness

Alone In The Wilderness

Has anyone seen this fabulous series on PBS??

Alone In The Wilderness

Re: Alone In The Wilderness

Is that the one where the old man goes to Alaska and lives by himself? That is a neat show. He builds a cabin by himself out of the trees and stuff around him, and just basically lives off of the land. Stayed there like 40 something yrs before he decided he was too old (80ish?) and came back to the main land.

Yep, I watched it recently on TV. If he was really alone, who operated the camera while he was paddling along in his canoe or in the other action shots.?

Awwww Bird. You had to go and ruin it for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Think you will find a few real such cases along the Yukon or Athabasca rivers.

Egon

Don't know their technical arrangement but there are IR trackers to follow the heat of the live subject and keep the camera on the subject. I carry a special "C" clamp/tripod head which allows me to mount a VideoCam to the gunnels of my canoe. I can orient it just about anyway I want: forward to show where I am going, sideways for the view and shows motion better, back to show the padler(s). The camera is controlled by a small IR remote control with full function. I can start and stop the taping, zoom in and out. Wide angle is best the majority of the time as it minimizes the inevitable rocking from side to side as you padle, J stroke or otherwise.

Before video cams I packed a Super 8 film camera and a clamp to attach it to tree limbs etc. I would go uptrail, set up the shot and start the camera then quickly circle back to lead the group past the camera. thlen you ALL double back and turn the camera uptrail and walk by it again. In editing you take out all hints of the running back and forth techique used and it looks pretty professional and has good continuity.

That said, they probably had at least a three man crew for sound, camera, and director.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat I don't think they had all that hi tech stuff backin the 50s and 60s.
    I'm sure he came down from the mountain from time to time to visit and to conduct business like write books and stuf and go to the doctor and dentist.
    There was probably a camera he had positioned at times to film, maybe even someone to help film, but I'm quite sure he spent most of those years alone.

Pretty remarkable man.

I think the guy found some sand (silica), and made some glass for the lenses and silicon for IC chips. He found copper ore, which he smelt, refined and extruded into wire. Building the video camera was the easy part- then he had to make the tape. After drilling for the crude oil...

[img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]