Thread: Grounding the Generator?

Grounding the Generator?

After our 5 day power outage in Dec., I purchased a Coleman Gen 5000W. Hope I don't need it for a while but sure is nice just to have it sitting in garage. Instructions state to connect to an appropriate earth ground to help prevent electrical shock. A ground terminal connected to the frame is provided. When this unit is used it will be sitting on blacktop drive.Standby power will be for sump pump,240VAC electric heater 4000 watts,well pump 240VAC, lights,TV,microwave. Obviously, not all at the same time.
    How critical is this ground and does anyone have any suggestions on how and what I should use for ground to earth? What precautions should I take when plugging cord in to 240 receptacle when generator is running? As you can tell, I'm electrically challenged. I'd appreciate your comments.

Re: Grounding the Generator?

Portable genset frames are not required to be grounded per the 200s NEC®.
    If you want to, it won't hurt

Re: Grounding the Generator?

Inspector507, Thank you for your reply. Now I have one less thing to worry about !! I was hoping I'd be lucky and You would see my post. I'm sure everyone on CBN appreciates you sharing your expert knowledge with us. I always enjoy reading your replies etc. Thanks Again