Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open heifers

open heifers

A question that has probably already been asked but here goes anyway. Open heifers, as I understand it, is when the cow does not breed. I have a heifer that has had a calf (1st), but did not breed the 2nd time around. Now, do I try and breed her again, give her another chance so to speak, or do I get rid of her? How many chances do I give her? Sounds cold huh? She's a small cow and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I would rather have a bigger heifer, to better be able to calve, I think, so am thinking of getting rid of her.

I need your thoughts please

Dick

Re: open heifers

All depends on the cow. If we have a nice cow and for some reason, often times it's because they weren't fed right, they don't take we'll give them another chance. You have to remember with cattle they have to be very well nourished or they will not breed back. This is the biggest mistake I see people make. You've got a calf sucking and taking alot of nutrients. If those aren't being replaced and then some the cow won't take on the breeding. If it's a small cow and not something I'm happy with they would be gone anyway. You don't want to build a herd up with poor cows. All that will lead to is poor calves.

Also after a heifer has had a calf she's now referred to as a cow.

Dick,
    Have you considered that the problem could be with the bull. How long has it been since she calved? Not that uncommon for a cow not to conceive on first service if serviced too soon after calving. As Cowboydoc stated, the health and condition of a cow has a direct bearing on her ability to conceive. If she weighs less than 1000lbs, at this point, you might be better off to sell her while prices are good and try again with one you like better.

TK

Thanks for the info., I appreciate it. I also didn't know that after a heifer has a calf, she's now referred to as a cow [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I'll be asking some more stupid questions in this forum so bear with me and bring me along like a newborn. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Dick

Dick, a few years ago I was talking to a rancher neighbor and telling him how we used to buy the "day old" bread from a bakery to feed our hogs (3 cents a loaf in the early '50s). And he told me that when he was first getting started in ranching, and still working in Dallas, he used to buy the old bread by the pickup load from Mrs. Baird's bakery in Dallas. He said he bought 8 heifers and both they, and his hogs, loved that bread, but the heifers never got bred. And after a long time of wondering why none of his heifers got bred, he talked to a vet about it and the vet told him it was something in bread (yeast?) that would keep them from ever breeding, so they all went to the auction barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, what in thunder, I'll never make sandwiches for those cows again.... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually it's protein Bird. Cows need alot of protein to be able to rebreed. With all of the bread they were just getting carbs and junk carbs at that. Most bread is nothing more than fill. Sad state in our food today. Unless you are eating whole grain bread all you are doing is filling your belly but getting no nutrition. This is what is referred to as empty calories. If the cattle would have been fed whole grain bred with a good protein supplement they probably would have bred back.

I have no doubt you're right. I couldn't remember for sure specifically what it was the vet said about the bread that kept those heifers from breeding, but the neighbor said he sure learned not to feed his cattle that bread.

Doanything, I'd see my extension agent and try to get a brochure pamphlet or whatever depicting cow's body condition on a numeric scale. You will increase your success at "breeding back" by a considerable margin if the cows are "filled out" to a 5 or 6 and they are better prepared for the nutritional stress as well. Plenty of studies show return on investment for the cost of getting them back in shape.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks guys for all your input, great as usual. I'll be asking more questions that all you guys have answered before so be patient with me. I happen to be going over to La Grange,TX today to see my extension agent so he'll get bombarded with questions. I'll bet he just loves seeing me come in [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] .

Oh, wait, I'm editing this because today is Presidents day and no one is there. Man I wish I had a goverment job.

Dick