Thread: Tree wind break line

Tree wind break line

I have been buying trees from our Wal-Mart and a garder that has $10 trees. They are about a year old. I am putting in Aspens where we see the trees (spend most of our time) and cotton woods from where the wind comes most. We are using tree spikes and watering everyday. What else can we do to increase their growth. They are both fast growers and drought resistant. But I am okay with using any thing that will make them grow faster.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Re: Tree wind break line

Use this stuff. It is flat out amazing. Try it one a few trees & plants, and don't treat the others. This time next year you'll wish you had just done all of them, because the ones you treated will be substantially taller & fuller. You won't need a measuring tape to tell the difference.

I did this on a privet hedge. It was along my back fence, and divided by an arbor. One side got sprayed, one didn't. I suppose I sprayed 3 or 4 times, or a half dozen at most that summer.

Next spring I had forgotten about my little test, and I was scratching my head trying to figure out why one side was a good 18" taller, and much fuller & healthier than the other.

Good stuff!

That sounds good. Thanks for the idea.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

I am needing to get a quick tree line up between my neighbor and me. He's kind of going crazy and doing weird things. So I don't want to interact with him much but I don't want to be avious about it.

I sure hope you know what you're doing when you put out cottonwoods. I guess they call them "male" and "female"; one kind sheds lots of "cotton" and the other does not. Our next door neighbor has a huge cottonwood tree in the front yard, and it looks like it's snowing around here lately with all that stuff in the air. Then in the Fall, the leaves fill up my rain gutters (he doesn't have rain gutters on his house). And he has an interesting yard to mow; cottonwood roots on top of the ground; some more than 6" high.

I have a pipe fence up between us but want to get a more substantial view blocker up. I was going to put cotton woods up between us and then evergreens between them. Is there a good hedge that does not get spiders.

There are cottonless cottonwoods. Ask a nursery. A friend of mine has them on his place. All the fast growing of cottonwood without the cotton. Well, very little of it. ALMOST none.

But the suckers in the lawn are another matter. How about a nice poplar?

A hedge without spiders? I don't think one exists.

Cottonless are all we can plant out here. Cotton ones are illegal.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Cotton ones are illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

And ought to be. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

"They are both fast growers and drought resistant."

Don't know where you are at in Colorado, but unless you are along a river or irrigation ditch, cottonwoods are NOT drought resistant, they are very thirsty. If you are below about 5000 feet, the aspens won't be a long lived tree either. Email me if you have any questions, born and raised in Colorado, 5th generation on the farm, so I know the area a little...