Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic Roundup?

Generic Roundup?

Can anyone tell the definition of generic Roundup? Where can I buy it? How much cheaper is it than Roundup? And, is it as good as Roundup?

Re: Generic Roundup?

Do a search here for glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup. There are several threads that discuss it.

You can get 41% Gly Star Pro in 2.5 gallon jugs at Agri-Supply for $59. Just mix it with water. 48% roundup ultra max in 2.5 gallon jugs sells for about $140.
    My friends just call me Mad.

Generic "Roundup" is exactly the same thing as the commercial version. The active ingredient and the concentration (percentage) are the keys to how well it'll work. Glysophate (the active ingredient) basically starves the plant to death and is very effective, although not especially fast acting (it'll take a couple of weeks to kill, but it will do so with a vengance).

I buy "Pronto Super Concentrate" (50% Glypohosate) at Tractor Supply for about half the price of Roundup.

I have not noticed a difference at all in how good/fast/etc. it works v.s. my previous usage of Roundup... just less expensive.

My wife just bought generic at Walmart and said it was just under half the price of the brand name.

Bill, I have tried other generic's without the same results. It sounds like you have had good success with the Pronto product so I am interested in trying it.

Does it have the same dilution ratio and work on the same range of vegetation?

Though its not half what the Round up is it's still about $50 less for the 2.5 gallon size.

Thanks,
    Mark

At an ag supply buy "Nufarm" Credit - a systemic extra herbicide. Also you will want "Agrisolutions" Class Act Next Generation - a surfactant that makes the generic roundup stick to leaves, etc. Each comes in 2 1/2 gal.; mix 3 oz. of each per gallon. Think I paid around $90 for both. Works just like the brand name stuff!

I know this is an old thread but I really haven't seen anybody post anything about REMEDY for weed control. Down here in south central Texas, across the state for that matter, we have a serious problem with mesquite. I understand that Remedy will control it pretty good, mixed with deisel, and sprayed while the tree is in its active growing time. Sprayed on the leaves so the hebicide will be absorbed through the leaves.
    Any thoughts?

Dick Austin

We use remedy. Notch the base of the tree with a axe let it puddle around trunk. Kills em dead. Don't use it in wet weather,not as effective.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

phxraptor,
    Don't need anything but the ax if you girdle the tree. Be sure to take material out through the cambium layer under the bark. This is the material through which nutrients are transported.

TK