Thread: Metal Fence Posts

Metal Fence Posts

Got a question. I'm getting ready to put in 500' of fence and was wondering if there was any air tool that would drive in metal posts???? Looking at the job at hand, I'm not looking forward to driving those metal posts in with my post driver.
    I don't know weather they make such an animal or not. I could just put in cedar posts but that gets really expensive. If there isn't a tool that you guys know about, I guess I will be building up my arms huh?

Thanks For Any Input
    Dick

Re: Metal Fence Posts

I assume you're talking t-posts?
    I found that it was easy, on my little place at least, to use the front end loader on the tractor.
    I walk the line and drop the posts at the 36' distance I'd decided on. Then I go back to each one, jab it into the ground at the mark (positioning it properly, of course), climb on the tractor, set the bucket on top of the post, and push it in. After 2, I got pretty good. I say after 2, because the first one moved to the side and it ended up taking about 6 tries before I had it down ... and I rushed the second one and bent it. After those 2, I found the pattern and now find it VERY easy to push them in to the depth I wanted them.
    Of course, the "trick" is to make sure the bottom of the bucket is level and (in my case) the post is centered at the point the bucket is reinforced, in order to use a spot where the post has less of a chance to slide. Were I to do a whole bunch (I have all my fencing done) I'd probably weld or bolt a bracket under the bucket (that fit the post) so there's no chance of sliding sideways.
    Anyway, I found it a cheap and easy way for t-posts. Wood, of course, wouldn't work like that as my tractor is only 39HP. ... so I auger the holes for those.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

There are but they are expensive. I don't think I have seen one for less than about $4000. You can buy hydrolic and air powered ones. A cheaper way that is used around here is to get an electric hammer drill. A generator. a 1 inch rock drill bit. drill the hole for the post with the hammer drill and then the post will pound in real easy.

Hamer drills:
    Link

Good idea especially if you have soil issues.

If you don't have downforce on your bucket, put some rocks or gravel or some sort of weight in it to help out.

Did they make tractors without downforce on the loader? Your right, adding a thousand ponds or more to the bucket can help get things moving.

Thanks everybody. I tried the bucket idea and it works pretty good. It does take some time to get the idea of it but I'll take that over pounding anytime.

Thanks Again

Dick

Have you tried useing a heavy crowbar to start the holes. It also helps build character and more requirements for hydrating fluid of choice. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon