Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recalcitrant grease gun

Re: Recalcitrant grease gun

Am I the only one who refils the throw away cartridges?

I have several grease guns in the standard size (one air operated and one super high pressure manual, 5000+PSI) and a couple small guns that take miniature cartridges... A N D... they are all a pain to load and get going.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We used to stick the end of the grease gun in the pail and then pull back on the spring loaded handle to fill the gun. Then one hoped the spring loaded handle would stay locked till the head was on. Many of the guns had little screws that could be backed out for bleeding purposes.

I've found the easiest way to get the air out is to lock the spring loaded handle by turning it and the applying pressure while pumping.

Egon

What's recalcitrant mean?

Dick

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I can see that E-gone is well acquainted with buckets and non-cartridge grease guns. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] MAN!....what a hassle that was!... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img].....especially when the bucket was getting low and you had to punch the gun down into the grease in ten different places to get a fill.....and lots more air of course. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Re-crab-o-cent means dificult to handle. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Ican, Here tis...

One entry found for recalcitrant.
    Main Entry: re·cal·ci·trant
    Pronunciation: -tr&nt
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Late Latin recalcitrant-, recalcitrans, present participle of recalcitrare to be stubbornly disobedient, from Latin, to kick back, from re- + calcitrare to kick, from calc-, calx heel
    1 : obstinately defiant of authority or restraint
    2 a : difficult to manage or operate b : not responsive to treatment c : RESISTANT <this subject is recalcitrant both to observation and to experiment -- G. G. Simpson>
    synonym see UNRULY

There is this amazing web service by Merriam Webster (on-line)

http://www.m-w.com

It is a good on-line dictionary and thesarus

Oh to save you asking... a thesarus is a small extinct lizard like dinosaur from the second incredulous period into the late devolian.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat, I appreciate the info. Gettin smarter all the time.
    I now have that website in my favorites. Oh, by the way, while I was there, I looked up "Thesaurus" and this is the definition:

Main Entry: the·sau·rus
    Pronunciation: thi-'sor-&s
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural the·sau·ri /-'sor-"I, -"E/; or the·sau·rus·es /-'sor-&-s&z/
    Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, treasure, collection, from Greek thEsauros
    1 : TREASURY, STOREHOUSE
    2 a : a book of words or of information about a particular field or set of concepts; especially : a book of words and their synonyms b : a list of subject headings or descriptors usually with a cross-reference system for use in the organization of a collection of documents for reference and retrieval
    - the·sau·ral /-'sor-&l/ adjective

I thought maybe you were yankin my chain on that one. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ............wise guy

Dick

\
    Best be careful Dick. You may find yourself trying to run your vehicles on nitrogen!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Just raising the bar a little. Let's be attentive, though. We want the world to know that CBNers are erudite, but not construed as parvenu. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Most words relating to grease guns don't have many letters and ain't found in the dictionary or voiced in mixed company.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JazzDad, you are a wonderment [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Of course, even after looking up those words I still don't know what your talking about. And to think you only live 2 cities away from me. I think I'm going to use them in a sentence with my wife and try and not get slapped [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Well, about erudite:

Main Entry: er·u·dite
    Pronunciation: 'er-&-"dIt, 'er-y&-
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English erudit, from Latin eruditus, from past participle of erudire to instruct, from e- + rudis rude, ignorant
    : possessing or displaying erudition : LEARNED <an erudite scholar>
    - er·u·dite·ly adverb------Still don't know what that means

And construed:

Main Entry: 1con·strue
    Pronunciation: k&n-'strü
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): con·strued; con·stru·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin construere, from Latin, to construct
    transitive senses
    1 : to analyze the arrangement and connection of words in (a sentence or sentence part)
    2 : to understand or explain the sense or intention of usually in a particular way or with respect to a given set of circumstances <construed my actions as hostile>
    intransitive senses : to construe a sentence or sentence part especially in connection with translating
    - con·stru·able /-'strü-&-b&l/ adjective----------Dang

And lastly: Parvenu:

Main Entry: par·ve·nu
    Pronunciation: 'pär-v&-"nü, -"nyü
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural par·ve·nus /-"n(y)üz/
    Etymology: French, from past participle of parvenir to arrive, from Latin pervenire, from per through + venire to come -- more at FOR, COME
    : one that has recently or suddenly risen to an unaccustomed position of wealth or power and has not yet gained the prestige, dignity, or manner associated with it
    - parvenu adjective

Egon, ain't that the truth.

Dick