Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse stalling and feeding question

Re: Horse stalling and feeding question

It’s nice to find a vet that will help keep your costs down.

I have forgotten….are you putting shoes on this horse or just trimming feet for now? All things being equal, I would suggest that you go with leaving the shoes off for a while and look to get the feet trimmed about every 6 weeks. Maybe more frequently in the spring. This will let your horses feet spread out a bit and let it get used to any new angles over a while. I sure agree with the MSM.

You might ask your vet for some Bute to give your horse for a day or two after shoeing if it seems uncomfortable.

Mark

We did the trimming at the end of dec. and the farrier said to see how he did w/out the shoes. The horse seemed much better, the farrier comes out next week for another look and he said he would tell me if he should retrim then. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Before we got the feet trimmed, he would put his nose down by his Rt front foot, like he was being bothered by something. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I looked and Looked while I picked out his foot but couldn't find anything. He hasn't done it since the farrier did his feet. Thanks for being so helpful!
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

That’s interesting about his looking at one foot. Not sure what that means but it’s really great that you are looking at his feet a lot. Most people don’t seem to understand how important feet are. It might have been that he had an abscess or a stone bruise if he had shoes on.

I might suggest that you get your horses feet trimmed at about 6 weeks more for the angles of the horse’s feet rather than how long they are. Once the angles are set then adjust the shoeing interval to what makes sense. If you put shoes on then the average is 6 weeks.

If you ever have your horses feet x-rayed, have your equine vet point out where the “break over” point is. If they use Digital X-ray’s its easy to see. For performance horses this is critical because they are getting a lifetime of use in 8-9 years and some don’t make it past 3-4 of they are not taken care of.

If you have already told me this forgive me but if you have not started them on their vaccinations you might start thinking about that. Especially the West Nile shots.

Good job on taking care of your horses so well. I bet they love running around in the snow just being horses doing what horses do……….
    Mark

She said that April was a good time to do that, she said it was the beginning of thier worming schedule too, so we would take care of that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Oh right, sorry....you are a little further north than we are [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]