Thread: Blueberries,anyone grow them?

Blueberries,anyone grow them?

im thinking about grow a patch of blueberries for a u pick or sell at local store, farmers market, any one got a project like that going on? any advice? Rose

Re: Blueberries,anyone grow them?

I don't have them in the ground yet, but I'm doing the same thing. This past year, I planted 1000 Christmas trees and 200 raspberries. Next year will be another 1000 tress and 250 high-bush blueberries. But I've been working at this for a couple of years..... reading books, going to all the other U-pick places (trees and berries) within 15 miles, writing a business plan, etc.

First thing you need to do is decide exactly what you want to do. Is this a business or a sideline? If it's a business, you'll need to do a business plan. Not because you'll be looking for financial support, but because it makes you think thru what you're doing. Do it in a formal, structured way, with financial sheets. It really does help think it out. If it's just a sideline, you can be much more flexible.

First thing I would do is check out all of the competition. I found that going to all the local U-pick places game me some great insights. Most of them will chat with you about their operation. Then get a couple of books and read up. A good book to start with is the Backyard Berry Book by Stella Otto (ISBN:0-9634520-6-1). You might have a lot of soil prep to do. Get soil tested. You'll need to decide what varieties you'll plant and find some suppliers. OK, that's probably a years work. I can offer more insight later.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

where have you decided to buy your blueberries. i have been searching the net forever seems like. for nurserys. the best deal ive found so far is from DeGrandchamp Farms, what kind are you going to plant. im thinking about blue crop or jursery. they offer 1 yr feild ready plants for $2.50. where are you located? im in west virginia, i think theres only about 4 or 5 blueberrie farms here. the only ones i can find on the net any way... Rose

I was planning to buy mine from Fall Creek Nursery in Oregon. They are a wholesale grower, so only sell to commercial growers and have a minimum order size. I was planning to use 3 1/2" potted (about $2.40 ea.) plants in four different varieties.... Patriot, Northland, Blueray, and Northblue. We have a pretty short growing season and very cold winters, so I've chosen hardy varieties. By chosing four, I minimize some risk with disease and weather. There are some other nurseries around that I looked at including Nourse Farms and Finch Nursery. I bought my raspberries at Pense Nursery in Arkansas. You could chat with your local Extension Service rep or with the US Highbush Blueberry Council.

Maine is noted for it's blueberries, but it's really the wild blueberries that grow north of here. They are smaller and have a great taste. I have several U-pick blueberries places within 15 miles of our place. One has over 5000 plants.

oh thanks for info, so you think its best to plant different variteys? we have wild blue berries here ppl call them huckle berries.. yeah they are small but boy they sure have lots of flavor dont they? i have some growing the the fields of the land we just bought.. im gonna try to move them to one place if they will transplant, wondering if it would be ok to plant tnem in field with the domestic berrys, do you have to irragate them or do you have enough moisture{rain,ground water} thanks for your input, been very helpful.. Rose

I am getting ready to start prepping my soil for blueberries. How do I acidify my soil? Does anyone have a strategy for prepping the soil?

I am starting with 1 acre and hope to go to at least 5 acres. I know my local market will support that. How about organic growing? has anyone tried it?

Sulfer is a good start 5lbs for 100sq feet for each point you need to bring down the ph. Good range is 4.2 to 5. need to get sulpher in the ground 6 months to 1 year prior to planting. we have approx 5000 bushes and 13 varities.
    Hope this helps.