Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: one year construction

Re: one year construction

Here's the roof rafters cut in. I wish I could cut that bird's mouth better. I never can get it in the right spot. It sure makes it time consuming to measure every rafter out for that nice fit. Thank the maker for sheathing and shingles. That stuff hides lots of mistakes.

Sheathing and paper on the roof.

Doors and windows hung, shingles started. I used class 4 architectural shingles. If I were a full time roofer, I'd tell my clients that they had to use class 4, no choice. Of course, I might not roof too many houses that way. Class 4 is expensive but I saved 25% on my home insurance so it almost pays for the extra expense, and by far and away they are the easiest shingles to work with I've ever used. I swore off shingling a few years ago. Using these makes me think I might be willing to shingle again. Well, on second thought, probably not.

Here's the first side of vinyl siding I installed. I'm adding a shameless plug. If anyone cares, the name brand can be deleted. But this is Alcoa Masitc siding and it is expensive and worth it. Cost me over $100 per square, but it is thick stuff and looks great.

It's hard to tell from this photo, but I have the side lights added to the doorway and the front sided. I saved quite a bit of money on my side lights because I built them myself. I invested $150 in materials for both side lights. The door cost me $200 on sale at Lowes. Not bad price for a door with two side lights.

I added shutters to the windows and finished the siding. I've finished all of the roof. I'll take pics of the backside of the house soon when I can take the pics in the morning so that the sun shines on the house and shows the color.

Last pic for now. Here's a side view. I'm using rain chains for my downspouts on the front of the house. I'm making those up myself, too. I like the idea of the rain chain. I think they'll look good and the water goes right into the half barrel set below the gutter spout. The object in the left corner is my half completed gazebo. One of these days, I'll finish it, too.

Called Sweat Equity

That was hard work.

Egon

Thanks for the pictures.

It's looking good. You must feel good.

Closets are places to put stuff you never use and can't find when you do need it.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cowboyup, you are the MAN. Looks good to me. I have the roof on and the doors and windows will be here this week. Pics, to follow