Thread: Shallow Well/Spring

Shallow Well/Spring

Hello,

I would like to relocate my current pump system (1/2hp shallow well with 5 or 7 gal pressure tank) from the spring house to the basement of my house. The horizontal distance is about 150 feet, the vertical rise is about 25 feet. Therefore, the new pump and tank would be about 25 feet above the well and 150 feet away.

What h.p. pump would I need? I think I will also be replacing the pressure tank as well. I plan on replacing it with a 30 gal tank. The pump services a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house, with washer and dishwasher.

Any thoughts as to which type/hp pump would work? It is a dug well and there is no casing. The water simply sits in the covered reservoir. The land is located in Pennsylvania (zip = 15957).

Thanks for any ideas.

Wes

Re: Shallow Well/Spring

A shallow well pump pump will be able to maintain suction to whatever the atmosphereic pressure is which will equate to somewhere around 25 ft. elevation difference. Adding in friction losses from 150 ft. of pipe and a pump not working at 100% efficiency I'd suggest the system may not work.

You may have to move up to a jet pump system which places the eductor in the well. It will also require two lines to the well.

The pumps are actually the same except the shallow well has the eductor at the pump.

A submersible at the well would also work. May be best choice.

Egon