Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just wondering

Re: Just wondering

Mark, my grandfather used to start tomato plants from seed in the little pots or trays similar to what the nurseries use. But he did it indoors, in his walk-in basement with windows on the east side, as well as artificial lights, because even in Oklahoma they needed to be started well before the weather turned warm enough to have young plants outside. Personally, I've had no experience with that method; I simply bought the tomato plants, usually 4" to 6" tall, at a local nursery in the area.

I guess the one thing I did differently from a lot of people was the number of times I tilled my garden. After every rain, as soon as it was dry enough, I tilled it again; year round. When it was planted, I tilled between the rows, and during the non-growing season, I tilled the whole garden.

I did get a really big surprise once. Every Fall, when I was through with the garden, even though some things might still be producing a bit, I mowed all the remaining plants with the brush hog, then tilled them in. And one winter, I looked out the window and saw a huge area of "grass" in the garden that hadn't been there a few days before. I told my wife I couldn't imagine how that much grass got there that fast. So I went out for a closer look and found that it was thousands of tiny tomato plants. I knew another freeze would kill them anyway, so I promptly tilled them under.

What about using sawdust/shavings as mulch?? I have been spreading fairly fresh sawdust to control weeds and conserve water...but maybe the trade off of nitrogen usage is not worth it and I should use another mulch? The horse manure we use is very well composted...has a mixture of sawdust/shavings in it(that's our horse's bedding) but since it's so well composted I guess we are safe?

Muncybob, Sawdust and wood chips will compost and then are just fine but they take longer, especially the chips (larger = slower) so the wood in the manure can easily not be composted when the manure is. If you compost it long enough the wood will compost too.

Using really course wood chips or bark for a top cover isn't much of a problem since the surface area is so low for the quantity of chips. The "shredded" wood is OK too as it also has a low surface to volume ratio and therefore reacts slowly. The really course stuff uses nitrogen a lot slower and doesn't present much or any problem except certain species may contain chemicals that are harmful too or retard others. I know this exists but don't know much about which ones do what to which others. If well composted I don't think that is as much of a concern.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat.
    I actually went out to a local University of CA website and found some good info as well. It seems like a lot more of a science than I first started. The good news, I think, is that I moved part of my evergrowing manure pile and found that it seems to be doing, what I think are, many of the right things all by itself. Hopefully that means I can screw it up too badly with the limited time I have.

Bird,
    Good story on the tomatoe plants [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I will have to start some of those plants pretty soon as we are headed for low 80's. Pretty soon the ground is going to warm up and dry out.

Thanks for the help all.
    Mark

LOW 80's?????

MARK...

I promise I won't come over unannounced for dinner if you tell me where you are located. Approximately is fine. I am approximately at +35, +97

That is 35 degrees north laltitude and 97 degrees west longitude, +/- 3 to 4 miles.

By the way, aren't these longer days just wonderful?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When using wood chips in the garden adding nitrogen fertilizer works well.

I start my seedlings in a plastic sandwhich bag filled with purchased manure and placed in can. The top of the bag is tied shut so everything stays moist for germination. After germination the plastic bag is untied . Makes for easy watering and a deep set of roots.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Again, you are right. I have been working a lot of Eastern Red Cedar (actually juniper) and gave a friend aboiut 200 gallons of wood chips of varying size and thickness. As he wanted to spread it over his garden I admonished him to include some high nitrogen fertilizer to make up the deficit they would cause.

The local Asplund (sp?) tree trimming/chipping contractors can course shred trees which decreases the surface area tremendously compared to really fine chips and sawdust so that reduces the rate of nitrogen depletiion when used as a soil ammendment. It composts/decomposes really slowly.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think horse manure would be good. I climbed over the fence next to me and got some cow manure and soaked it in water that i watered my tomatoes with . I had the best tomatoes I have ever had.. I do not plan on using comerical fertilizer this year.Go organic....Also my city where I live, gathers up all the leaves from the neiborhood and carries it where it is made into mulch. and you can drive your truck over and they load it for you. It is so rich and dark..