Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't there any mutts anymore?

Aren\'t there any mutts anymore?

I was thinking about looking for a new dog, our shepard passed in July'04, and getting lonely for a inside dog. Up until the shepard I had Mutts and did very well w/ training and very eager to please. I hadn't run onto any major quirks that I couldn't clear up. Now it seems that looking for a dog they all have a breed attached to them. The shepard was a chicken eater and we kept the chickens in the coop until he passed, but now they are free-range, I like that more, I want to keep them out. So do you think that there are certain breed dogs that are prone to eating the chickens or it like something that is in them or not? I was going to rescue one, I think they know thier animals more than shelters, I wanted housetrained young pup, not a puppy, just want to get to the fun stuff. Also, wasn't sure about some of the working breeds because although I'm out taking care of and playing w/ the cows and horses morning and night, I don't want one that wants to work to death. I'm not sure that I "work" enough for them. I also want a buddy to watch TV w/ me at night, too. Beagles are out too, they run away, only livestock fencing. Anyone have any ideas, breeds that you have that live on a farm nicely. Sorta of a target group.
    I used to do obedience in H. school and college and was looking at getting into that again too.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Aren\'t there any mutts anymore?

i have a buddy with a one year old boarder collie/shepard mix that needs a home. house trained, and would love to live on a farm. he is great with other animals, and just wants to play and please.

I still think the mutts are out there but I think people are trying to determine what the parents breeds are so they have some sort of idea on what the puppy is going to grow up to be. I think you are on the right track……look at the pound or rescue groups. Sometimes they have older dogs or older puppies.

Mark

I've been researching all over the WWW. I think my family thinks I've become a basement dweller I'm down here so much.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

kopelli,
    were sorta far apart or I would look at that dog, thanks for the offer!
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

www.petfinder.org is a good site that lists animals available for adoption from shelters nationwide. They have lots of mutts/cross breeds in there, even some horses and barn yard animals.

Thank you for petfinder.com I'll check that out.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I have noticed that more often then not shelters and rescues try to put a breed to a dog even if it isn't the right one. We had a foster dog that they put as a Keeshound, he looked more like a shepard weiner dog mix. Even at the vets they are bound and determined to define the dog as a certain breed or mix of breeds.
    Michelle

Just a country girl at heart wanting that country life back and the farm of her dreams.

Ah! One of my favorite subjects!

"Mutts" almost always make the best dogs.

If this picture works, here's my "mutt". This is Baby! She's a Brittany Spanial/Papillon mix. She's the smartest dog I've ever ran across. She understands anything we tell her. She's gentle with kids, even if they aren't with her. And so affectionate!

My favorite author, Roger Welsch, did a "dog book" last year. "A Life With Dogs" (MBI Press) I HIGHLY recommend reading it.

One small tidbit of info contained in the book was this website.

www.nslamerica.org They encourage the adoption of mix breed dogs.

And now, here's Baby!
    Carpenter by day, Farmer by night, weekends, days off, spare time, holidays, vacations, ect...

Until the one we now have all our dogs were mutts. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon