Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aren't there any mutts anymore?

Re: Aren\'t there any mutts anymore?

Mutts are great. I think the best of the breeds survives in each one. I go to the local pound weekly and there are PLENTY of mutts there. They try to give an approximate guess of what type of dogs they might be. I think your plan to get a young dog is a good one. If you have a few bossy chickens to teach him not to mess with them, maybe he never will. I have 3 dogs and 2 ducks. I had the dogs first, they are about 4 or 5 years old. When I got the ducks, I showed them the ducks in the cat carrier, took them outside and made them sit with me while I released the ducks. The dogs seemed to absorb that I was giving care to the ducks so they belonged to the pack. They don't bother the ducks. Now if I could get the ducks to leave the dogs alone.
    Happy puppy hunting,
    Cindy

There are a lot of mutts around here. I used to do the web page for the local Humane Society and I would go in every week to take photos of the new dogs for the web page and most were mutts. Mostly Lab and Rottie mixes and lots of hound mixes too. We would always label them as a "something-mix" to give people a better idea of size, temperment and appearance. It's always a guessing game.

One of my dogs (in the photo) is a mutt and me and the wife have spent hours wondering what he is. It's a fun game trying to figure him out. I do agree that mutts tend to make the best dogs. Let mother nature determine doggie-couples instead of breeders. Dogs are better at choosing their mates than any human IMO. Let nature take its course...the meddling of man only muddles.

Oh...and speaking of mixed breeds...here is our other "dog" who we think is part bunny.

Nice looking dog with some distinctive markings. I like the little bit of white behind the nose.

Seems a sure bet that there's some lab in there though.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Nice looking dog with some distinctive markings. I like the little bit of white behind the nose.

Seems a sure bet that there's some lab in there though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's his yearbook photo so he got dressed up for it. I'm not sure if he has Lab in him. I'm pretty sure he has some sort of Terrier in him though. The funny thing is we have this Dog Book that shows all these breeds and he looks a lot like and fits the temperment and build of an Austrian Pinscher...but it's a very rare breed and hardly ever seen out of Austria. I guess he could be but I doubt it...he was picked up as a stray when he was less than a year old in a pretty rural farming area.

I also recommend petfinder. We have a golden/black lab mix that we 'rescued' from a family in Springfield, MA. My daughter found him on petfinder.

The golden must have had the dominent genes, because Bubba has the body structure of the golden. He's double-coated with long auburn fur, which is great for our Maine winters. At 115 pounds, he was much too big to be an inner-city dog. He has a wonderful temperment, as long as you don't threaten a family member. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Then he has huge teeth. He's had a couple of entanglements with porcupines, a shouting match with a great-horned owl, and was smart enough to bark at the moose from the other end of the driveway. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]