Thread: Shredded paper ok for chicken litter?

Shredded paper ok for chicken litter?

Hey y'all,

I've got 36 chicks, about 4 weeks old. I've been using shredded office paper for litter. So far, no problems and they seem to be growing well, but I notice that they'll occasionally eat some of the paper. They've been doing fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with shredded paper. Also, would any potential staple fragments in the paper pose a significant risk?

Like I said, so far, no problems, and the price is right since I get it for free. Just wondering what your opinions are.

Thanks,

Nelson

Re: Shredded paper ok for chicken litter?

I have no ideal about the health issues Nelson, but if your paper came from my office your chickens would soon start clucking in three-letter-acronyms, laying cubicle-shaped eggs and begin discussing the synergies between the chickens and the pigs relative to the merits of a bacon and egg breakfast meeting [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

And they'd probably want smoke and coffee breaks too!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I don't know what effect it might have, Nelson, but the only thing I'd be concerned about is the staples. When I was raising rabbits, I started out using hay for the nest boxes, as most people do, but then I changed to shredded newspapers. The rabbits did eat some of it, but it made better nesting material than the hay had, and of course, when I cleaned out the boxes, I just tilled it into my garden and it decomposed very rapidly. I was using a strip shredder, not a cross cut, at the time, but don't know whether that would make a difference or not.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I'll continue using the stuff. So far, no problems. The staple fragments, which are very few are only about 2-3 mm long, so hopefully they'll pass right through, especially with all that fiber behind them.[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I'll let y'all know if they have any problems like indigestion or a tendency to "cluck in three letter acronyms" [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Nelson

I know there have been issues regarding the burning of shredded paper due to NASTY CHEMICALS.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

http://www.poultryconnection.com/phpBB2/index.php
    They know everything about chickens and ducks! They have helped me out in the past. Ask them! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere