Thread: car /serviced ?

car /serviced ?

I was wondering when a car needs to have a full service done on it. My late husband only had the oil changed. He's been gone three years and my daughter's boyfriend has changed the oil twice. Does it need to be serviced? Or a full service? I saw an ad in the paper, it didn't say when a car needed to be serviced though. Thanks for the help.

Re: car /serviced ?

Heather, sorry to here about late husband! Now car service! One of those deals, Do as I say NOT as I do!!! About every 3k to 5k miles on oil change, and I'd say 2 times in 3 yrs is a little slack! plenty of places have specials & even dealer can check it out for YOU! I'd get oil checked & changed pretty soon! Then get someone to teach you how to check oil and coolant and change a tire! You really need to know how and beleive me, if we can do it, any woman can do it better! Back on oil change, places like WalMart, & some oil change centers can do it almost as cheap as a do it yourselfer and you don't have to fool with old filter and old oil desposal! Good luck roho

Thank you roho [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I saw a training class exressly for teaching lady drivers how to safely change a tire so they wouldn't be stranded somewhere with a flat. One of the ways they compensated for brute strength was to use an electric impact tool that plugs into the car's cgarette lighter socket. This allowed the most petite ladies to easily remove and retighten the lug nuts or bolts.

The tool comes in a custom plastic carrying case and the version they had contained a dual purpose light. The light had a flashing red at one end for safety notification to any other traffic and a clear light so you could see at night to git 'er done. There is also a pair of cotton work gloves included so you don't get all messed up or hurt your fingers or hands so easily.

Of course the class tought techniques and strategies for smaller less muscular people to get the flat tire put in the trunk and the spare onto the car as well but the stand out FEATURE was the electric impact tool for removing and replacing the lugs.

I have seen these tools in lots of discount catalogs, J.C. Whitney, etc. as well as some auto parts stores. Who knows, maybe Wally World has them???

While learing to change your own oil is certainly not a particularly challenging task, there isn't much reward as the previous poster mentioned. I do recommend however learing how to check all the fluids under the hood (easier than many cooking tasks.) For safety, tthe single most important routine check is the tire pressure! Plese do yourself and everyone you share the road with a favor and learn how to check and properly inflate your tires. Dead simple if someone will show you how.

Don't forget to check the pressure in your spare. What good is the ability to change our own flat if the spare is flat?

Also, buy at least one can of one of the "Instant Spare or Fix a Flat" aerosol cans and cary it in the trunk. It would let you make a simple temporary fix to a flat or under inflated tire that ould allow you to get to safety or some place to get it fixed right.

Final advice: Do not assume that all men by virtue of being male are automatically car smart. Be careful about accepting advice from just anyone regardless of their sex or personal belief in their veracity. My wife ahas made that mistake a couple times with BAD results.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Check the owners manual for specified intervals for fluid replacement and for level. [ oil & antifreeze ]

Power steering fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid.

Tire rotation schedule.

Timing belt replacement if applicable.

Fan belt replacement

Fuel and air filter replacement.

Brakepad inspection

Tuneup schedule

If unsure it may be best to have a competant individual or shop look after your car. Disposal of used fluids can be a real pain.

Egon

Heather, one of the best things you can do is to find a mechanic or auto repair shop that you can trust. That can be difficult for women, because some feel that women don't know anything about cars and see them as an easy mark. But there are many very reputable and reliable shops. Use your friends to help find one. Once you've found a shop, they can help with all of the regular maintenance items.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I need a training class alright. The tool sound's like a great idea as well. I think maybe I will find a competant shop, i'm not sure my 12 yr. old son and I can handle all this car stuff. It sounds a little scary to have me work on it, then drive it. Don't think I like that idea. I'll ask around for a good place Thanks everyone.