Thread: Pig fencing

Pig fencing

Hello all, I am new on this site. Although I am a member of this site's sister, "Tractor by net". My question for all you out there is how big of an area should I fence in for two feeder pigs?? I am planning on getting two pigs soon. Try my hand at very small scale farming.. My other question is about fencing type.. Which would be best..Hog Panels or electric?? I am estimating that the cost would be about the same for a 16 x 16 drylot. Or should it be bigger?? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Pig fencing

I'm just starting out raising pigs, and what I know I learned from my friend, Cindi, the well known story teller in the homestead forum here. Cindi is an experienced pig farmer.

A 16 x 16 area should be big enough for two feeder pigs. You'll need both hog panels and an electric strand between 12 and 18 inches off of the ground. Pigs can dig under anything, and you'll need the electic strand to keep them away from the fence.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Welcome to Country by Net. We have raised 4H / FFA pigs for years (2-6 per year). We have used hog panels. We raise ours on concrete, no mud. Easier to care for them and load them through ther chute. They cannot root up the fence. They will sunburn so give them shelter too. Your 16 x 16 is OK.

Tony

We have been using electric fence for our one pig and she respects it. It is usually off though. When we feel or see that she is testing the fence, we turn it on. We are then well informed when she has noticed the fence has been energized! The best thing about electric is how easy it is to work with.

Chances are the pig will figure out when you are turning the fence on or off. Just take a little time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Egon,
    The beauty of our pig Ellie, other than her fine looks, is that she doesn't stray to far when she gets out. I don't think she is going through the fence though, escapes happen when a gate is left open or when we are moving our horses in or out of the paddock. The pic is when we came home one day and she was waiting for my wife and I to return.

Think that's one spoiled pet just waiting for meal time.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We have raised 4 to 6 a year for the last 5 years or so. We use hog or cattle panels on t-posts. Has worked well. If on dirt build a pallet or platform to allow them to get them out of mud etc. We never had them dig under,but we have had them lift a gate off its hinges. It does help to throw a few sticks, an old ball etc in with them to keep them occupied. Bored pigs can be destructive. THey need shade and water. Where the water is they will make a mud hole. It is amazing how well they dig and make a mess.

Mark
    Winding Woods Farm

That 16 x 16 area will stink after the first good rain. Just a heads up. We have a couple of wild caught feral pets, and they are allowed to run freely in my sheep pasture which is drill stem pipe and panel. Had all kinds of trouble keeping them at first, and even had my big sow break welds on the panels. Electricity in my opinion is the best way to train a pig to stay in. The options are endless too. I used to have issue with her storming out the gate and harrassing the dogs or leaving altogether. One day with a yellow stick her ham told her brain that the word OUT means get your piggly tail back through your own gate. That's all it took, and now you can turn her from an open gate in one word yelled from 100 yards away. Pigs are smart!
    Cheers
    M