Thread: patio planter question

patio planter question

Don't know if this belongs in Gardening or Outdoor Projects, but here goes.

I'm building a patio wall/planter using concrete blocks on the inside and brick on the outside. I had left over brick from a house addition and this seemed like a good way to use it. I went with the concrete block inside because I figured the brick wouldn't stand up to direct dirt contact all that well. I'm also thinking I might coat the inside of the concrete blocks with tar, or whatever is used on the outside of foundations to waterproof them. My thinking is tht if I limit the water soaking into the concrete blocks, that will perhaps prevent failure of the block-to-brick interface. The bricks will be directly mortared to the block, and I was thinking that mortar joint might suffer from a lot of moisture. I did incorporate some brick ties in the block joints, but could only get so many of them in there. So, am I being overly anal about this? Anyone see any problem with coating the dirt side of the blocks? I do plan to have some herbs and maybe other edibles in this planter, in addition to flowers, but I wouldn't think a tar-like coating would cause problems.

Chuck

Re: patio planter question

The last home we lived in had flower planters around the perimeter of the back yard. The previous owner grew roses in them. When we had the yard landscaped the planters were torn out. The inside of the planters were coated in a black tar like material that had been painted or rolled on and retained moisture well. I would think a tar emulsion such as blacktop driveway sealer would work well.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

Re: patio planter question

Thanks. It seemed a good idea to me, but never having built one I thought I'd ask if it was reasonable. I finished the last of the interior blocks last evening and will let the mortar cure a while before coating the inside. The bricks are going to take me a while anyway.....I think I've got about 400 to lay and have never done that before either. If this goes as usual for me, by the time I've finished the job I'll have figured out how to do it correctly.

Chuck