Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running electric to pole barn

Re: Running electric to pole barn

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Dave. If they never intended for you to pull 60A off the buss in one whack, why do they make the breakers that allow you to do it? And how would you get enough power to run an electric range, which will probably be close to the load he wishes to supply?

If you go with aluminum wire, make sure that all your lugs are rated for aluminum [ AL ]. Most newer breaker/lugs are dual rated for both aluminum and copper [ AL/CU ]. Also, be real carefull not to nick the insulation on buried conductors. Aluminum will not last long if exposed to soil moisture, but use the same care with copper. Apply an anti-oxidation coating to the wire prior to inserting into the lugs, and be carefull not to overtighten the lugs. HomeDepot sells Ideal Noalox in small tubes for 2-3 dollars.
    I have a 200 amp panel in my barn and I ran about 80 feet to a 100 amp panel in my home. I put 4 conductors in the trench, an extra conductor just in case. For fire disconnect purposes, I ran to an outside box/breaker on the outside of the home, then into the home panel. It's always a good idea to check with your your local inspector first and see what makes him happy.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll try to take a couple of pictures later today of the service panel with the cover off.

I'm also going to Lowes or HD today to price out a new panel for the barn. I won't buy it today since I won't need it for a while, but just want to get an idea. I'm still a little confused about whether I can get a main breaker in 60A [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Just some quick background, right now, there is just a little 10/3 line run to the barn fed from an outside recept on the house. It's enough to run a couple of lights and a power tool or two, but I was never happy with the way it is set up, and I want to do it right this time around.

That's why I'm asking SO many questions... I truly appreciate all of your time adding your $.02 worth [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chuck

I've seen 60's. But most breakers go 40,50,70, & 100.

Thanks JKlender, does that mean I can buy a 100A load center and put a 60A main breaker in it? Is the main breaker in these load centers the same as a regular breaker, or are they special in some way? If I can't find a 60A, maybe I can stay with the 60A in the house, but use a 50A in the barn. Probably still enough for what I need, and would assure that the main in the barn would pop before the one in the house that feeds the barn?

Thanks Again!
    Chuck

There are lots of kinds of main-breakered 'load centers'. Some have breakers that can be swapped out, and some don't. I wouldn't worry about it having a main, unless your inspector asks for it. The breaker in the house will protect your underground feed and the loadcenter. As far a you putting a 50 in the barn and a 60 in the house, you could flip a coin about which one would trip first. Might as well go 60 in both. And if you buy a loadcenter with a 100amp main, just leave the 100amp breaker in it and use it for a disconnect.

Ok, sounds good. I got mixed answers about whether I needed a main breaker in the barn or not. Guess I'll have to check the local codes. Thanks again for your input!

Yes you need a main, or some sort of disconnect, in the barn.

Chuck,
    Let me try to answer all or most of your questions here in one post.

Pick up a 6-12 circuit sub-panel from Lowes, HD or wherever. Also get a 50 or 60A breaker to use as a main in the barn. Get a ground bar to put in the sub-panel as well. You'll need a grounding electrode at the barn too.
    IF you had a total load of 60A in the barn (which I doubt you'll have), I'd run #4 copper. Total load of 50A, I'd run #6 copper. That will still be just a 3.7% voltage drop. You can get 6-3 w/ground UF at Lowes. No conduit needed, but I would anyway, that's just me.
    #6 copper is rated at 55A, and since that is not a standard fuse size, it can be rounded up to a 60A breaker. Plug the 50-60A breaker in and feed it with the wires from the house. There needs to be a "hold down device" installed to keep the main in the panel.
    If you have any other questions let me know. I am in Central Ohio too. So if you're close let me know if you need hands on advice.

edit......
    You can also e-mail me at this screen name at Yahoo.com

Thanks Jerry, I sent you a message at your yahoo address as well. Quick question on the sub-panel. Some of them say "main lug" and others say "main breaker". Can I buy one that says "main lug" and put a main breaker in it?

The reason I asked, is most of the ones marked "main breaker" already have a 100 or 200A main breaker installed.

Thanks!
    Chuck