Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition

New addition

Picked up a mini wood lathe at Canadian Tire the other day. Has variable speed control and can handle items up to 12in by 8 in. which should mean a realistic 10 in. by 6 in.

It was on sale for $150 dollars[ half price ? ]. May be broke but couldn't pass it up.

Should fit in well in my huge workshop.

Have made one small mallet from wire birch so far. Turned out well despite 45 years since I've used a lathe.

<font color="red"> </font color> And yes Bird this one does have a round
    handle <font color="red"> </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New addition

Egon

That's a good size for making file handles. I use short sections of copper tubing for ferrules.

RonL

Egon, So where did you put it in your shop (winter configuration), fasten it to the ceiling and operate it while lying on your back atop a wheeled cart?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

In winter he's going to use it to turn ice sculptures!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Ahh- it's small and portable.

In your shop it would maybe be lost forever. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

The first wood lathe I bought was a small Ryobi. Variable speed and maybe a 14" bed. Used it to turn pens and such. After making about a dozen pens I realized that I wanted a larger unit. But the Ryobi worked fine within it's limits.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

"Small" and "Portable" are KEY words for my shop, too !!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Next I had to purchase a set of chizels and they wern't on sale. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

egon I am surprised, I figured an intelligent, resourceful and just darn good looking fellow as yourself [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] , would have improvised. You know, sharpened up an old truck spring or big screw driver that was laying around, to use as a gouge. Then you would have showed your wife your pitiful chisels and that you were trying to turn some candle holders for her (whats with women and candles [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ). She would have had pity on you and bought you a complete turning set. Keep this in mind on your next tool! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I could only Dream!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon