Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool aquistion addiction

Tool aquistion addiction

Is anyone else out there suffering from "Tool Aquasition Syndrome" ?

Egon

Re: Tool aquistion addiction

All my life, Egon, all my life. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yep. My wife is beginning to get concerned. For valentines day, she bought me a Ryobi 1.25HP fixed base router ($55). This wasn't exactly the one I wanted and she gave me an "out" by saying I could return it for a different model.

I went to the the place where she bought it and traded up for a Bosch fixed/plunge combo ($200).

Later in the day, I was at Lowes getting some bulbs and there in the close-out section (with a beam of light shining down from the heavens illuminating it) was a 3.25 hp Freud plunge router with very nice microadjust table marked down to $260. Regular price was over $400, how can I be expected to pass up that deal?

Now I can build some raised face cabinets for the bathroom remodel.

No way, but I did sing a little song to the wife the other day, "You don't buy me tools anymore" (Appologies to Neil Diamond and Barbara Striesand). She had the gall to say I already have all the tools I need. The woman is deluded and has no idea that tools need to be "upgraded". I very wrongly pointed out that she more than one pair of shoes and that Emelda Marcos would approve of her collection! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Good thing the shop has heat. Can you cook meat with a propane torch? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I wonder if there's a 12 step program for this affliction, like tools anonymous [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Here's what I just picked up on Saturday.

That anvil looks pretty handy. I can think of a few uses for that. Oh, No... here I go again with the "I-wants".

I have a brother in law with a sever case of it. He sheetrocked his bedroom so he bought a Dewalt cordless screwgun. That was fine but then he wanted to do the garage ceiling so he researched for 2 months and bought a Hilti corded one. He wanted to make a lure light box(?), figured a biscuit joiner was in order to make this little box. He has a bunch of stuff from pneumatic nailers to saws. All in cases and all about as new as the day he bought them. Some are 10 to 15 years old but brand new. He loves having them and would probably sleep with them if he could. Me, I get a drill, use the living crap out of it, destroy it and get another. Some tools were given to me, most I purchased. The least used is my biscuit joiner or hand power planer, the most used is my worm drive saw or my sawzall. Actually, my Makita cordless drill probably gets the most time but for short spurts. The sawzall is easily the most abused but one of the most handy.

That looks a little heavy to just pick up Hank! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I got a nice block of wood for it to sit on!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice anvil! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] How much does it weigh? Now you have to dress the horn and it's recommended that you peen the top and dress the edges. A nice radius on the edges help keep it from chipping. Then you need to go out and buy a couple of other tools to complement it. A forge is nice.

And a good post vice. Machinist vices don't live too long when you get to beating the pee out of them.