Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tool aquistion addiction

Re: Tool aquistion addiction

Golly ... I wish it was just tools .... in my case it's a STUFF addiction. Tools, trailers, more tools, books, music, movies, more tools, more books, books about tools, tools for fixing books ..... and then there's all the STUFF for the motorcycle ...
    sigh

but, hey, SOMEONE has to keep the economy moving forward!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

The wife knows me now. When ever I say "Sure I can do that project for YOU" her reply is "WHAT TOOLS DO WE HAVE TO BUY"

I resemble that. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Then comes fishing, rods, reels and tackle could be it's own addiction but in my case it's just a chapter in my STUFF addiction problem.

I told her I don't have any bad addictions like drinking, drugs, gambling but I think she thinking those might be better then STUFF addiction....

Life if good, with lots of STUFF that is.......
    Hunt, Fish & Play to avoid WORK [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reading these posts, I'm startin to sweat and twitch and itch. Oh, hi honey, how long have you been standing there?

Dick

Eat your hearts out guys... My wife was reviewing stuff at the Starvation Army and found a Shopmate for $200 on half price day. She insisted I look at it. I did, negotiated, and took it home for $50 with a good carbide blade and a strong running motor.

She also bought me a Kenedy rollaround tool chest at a garage sale. She found me a band saw that I got for $50. and on and on and on...

The trick is in the conditioning. You want to capatilize on her gatherer instincts but substitute gratificatiion at finding stuff for you in place of junk for herself. Once in a whle throw her a bone and let her buy some object' d junk for herself.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hope you realize Pat that your expected to use those tools for projects you haven't even heard about yet! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Pat,
    I sure hope she never reads your last post [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ... and we thought hurricanes were tough... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Leo

Leo, We have been together for over 40 years and there isn't much that I do or say that has surprised her in recent decades. She knew I wanted a nice tool box so several years ago she wrote me an IOU for a toolbox with instructions to buy what I wanted when I wanted it and gave it to me in a card for my birthday. Years later I finally get around to it and selected one of the LARGE Harbor Freight roll around chests with an accessory chest that hangs on the end (no wheels of its own. This thing is huge and has massive casters and is rated for thousands of pounds (evenly distributed) of tools. She wanted me to buy several but I talked her into my getting just three sets.

Now HF has the companion box to go on top and she thinks I should get those. I think they are too expensive for what you get and I'm not sure I want to lose that much available horizontal real estate. I don't have a work bench, shelves, racks, overhead or wall storage in the new shop yet so maybe that is whay I covet the space available on the tops of those roll around chests. Maybe the companion chests that sit on top won't look so overpriced when I have some nice workbench space,

She enjoys taking me to HF and being my gopher. I tear out the picture with the item number of the things I am looking for and she goes out on a scavenger hunt to feret out the goodies. She is always finding things to ask me about and ask why I don't get one of THESE THINGS if I want it.

She is a retired budget analyst with decades of experience and can understant the utility of supplying me with the "implements of destruction" for wood butchering when the products of my efforts are significant portions of our house and its decorations and furnishings. I only hope that she is patient enough to give me the required time to do as good of a job as I'd like. I am not an experienced woodwoorker/cabinet maker/furniture maker but I am getting pretty decent results on some of my eforts so far but with literally years more work left to do.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    roll around chests with an accessory chest that hangs on the end

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat, I'm sure you know they make end chests, lockers, boxes, cabinets, etc. to go on either end of those big roll around tool boxes. I once went with my brother on Saturday to help him assemble and set up a new rig for one of his customers. He had the big main roll around, then we put a clothes locker on one end and a cabinet (for his books and manuals) on the other end, and a top cabinet with a little shelf and peg board type back. I don't remember just how big that main box was, but my brother made pictures of that mechanic laying on in, inside the top cabinet. $16,000 not including the contents. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] The guy was the #1 technician at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, and apparently was well paid. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Bird, I can promise you that I only paid for all three sets of roll around tool chests about what a comparable single "base" cabinet costs from a major American maker. If there is any objection to this HF equipment it isn't strength. The stuff has to be strong to hold up its own weight as it is darned heavy. Luckily they have pretty good big heavy duty castors under them. The full extension drawer slides are pretty smooth but will develop your muscles if they don't loosen up with use. They take considerable force to open and close.

I assembled the end cabs onto the main unit by myself for each of the three cabs...what a struggle... those suckers are HEAVY. I did have to trim some of the ruber coating back to get the handles to assemble correctly but other than that and the weight everything went OK. A small side bonus... the shipping crates/pallets are made of cedar. I removed the fasteners and planed a few boards. Good looking stuff.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat

Pat ... I like her! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Leo