Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer sound files

Computer sound files

Hello all,

I've run into a little problem with a project I've been working on for my church and would like some advise about .wav files converting to .mp3 files.

I am collecting sermon tapes from our church library and editing them to be played on the local radio station. Sermons can be no longer than 40 mins and are to be delivered to the radio station one week ahead of time.

So far I've been recording only the sermons ( editing out the hymns and prayers before and after ) from cassettes into the computer using an analog to digital interface from the RCA jacks on the back of the cass. deck into a USB port on the back of the computer.

The included software is called LP Recorder and it works pretty well - just hit the record button on the computer screen and then hit the play button on the cassette. The recording levels can be adjusted to optimize the volume of the recording. In the end, I have a new .wav file created with a 35 - 38 minute sermon recorded.

Now I have to convert this wav file into a mp3 file so that I can attach it to an email and email it to the radio station for broadcast.

My problem is that the other program included with LP Recorder is LP Ripper which is supposed to be capable of converting wav files to mp3 files, but it doesn't. The manual suggests using another program " such as MusicMatch " to do this. I don't have this program and am running out of time before the first broadcast.

I have found the breadth of knowledge on this website to be ammazing and am hoping someone is familiar with sound editing and recording on computers. If so, I have a few questions:

1. Should I just record these as mp3 files in the first place? If so, then how?

2. Why can't I just leave these files as wav files and email them that way?

3. Is the sound quality the same in wav files and mp3 files?

4. What is the easiest / least expensive way to convert my current wav files into mp3 ' s?

5. Is anyone on the board familiar with MusicMatch or the programs I'm using? How can I get this program if it is a good program?

Thank you very much in advance

Leef

Re: Computer sound files

I can only offer a little advice.

MP3 files will be smaller than WAV files. But if size and transmission time is not an issue, WAV files might be acceptable by the station. You'd have to ask them.

A basic version of MusicMatch came with my new Dell PC, but as I don't have an MP3 player I've never tried the program.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. The radio station originally suggested mp3 format, that's why I'm trying follow their suggestion. It makes sense if they're smaller files.

There's no reason I can't try attaching a wav file and see what happens is there? I have broadband internet connection through the cable tv company so that should help reduce the time, but I don't know for sure what the station has for internet provider.

Maybe a new computer is in order as I'm using an old ( 5 yrs ) computer with windows 98. I should look on the internet for a version of MusicMatch - perhaps it would be a free download or allow a trial use?

Obviously, I'm learning as I go. Actually I've assumed all teenagers would be experts in this kind of stuff because I played with music and stereos and then cd's when I was younger - but everyone I've asked just say they "burn cd's and that's all". With ipod s, and napster, and mp3, and burning cd's at home I thought there'd be more "expert" advice from the teenage population [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I must be asking the wrong ones.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous b/c I have to get the bugs worked out in the next few days.

Leef

This is a free ware one off of the net. I did a Google search for free mp3 converter and this was one of the choises.
    I have never converted audio to mp3 since it does reduce the quality. Not noticeable to most people. I can not vouch for it or any others since I have never used them.
    Hope this helps.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Wil

Leef, 35 - 38 minutes of a sermon will make a very large wav file. I have a 12 minute recording that is 128 meg, so your 35 - 38 minute file would be roughly 3 times as large, which even with a high speed connection will still take a large time to send.

As someone else mentioned, MusicMatch will convert from wav to mp3. My 128 meg wav file shrunk to 11.6 meg as an mp3 file. Your 35 - 38 minute file would be roughly 34 - 35 meg as a mp3 file. Give me some grace on the sizes as I'm just doing very rough calculations.

Based on the size, and assuming mp3 quality is o.k. for the radio station, then it would be beneficial to convert to mp3.

I just looked at musicmatch.com. Looks like there is a free version and one you can purchase for $19.99. Not sure if the free version will convert from wav to mp3 but you could research it. My version of MusicMatch came on my Dell.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Bob

Hi, most cd burning software have the option of converting .wav to mp3 format.

Wil,

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, it will be necessary to convert to mp3 for the sake of size. MusicMatch looks like the right program. I actually decided to puchase it, but then I read it requires Windows XP ( I am using Windows 98). I may be forced to upgrade my operating system and maybe my computer [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Bob, I will look into installing a cd burner with the software to convert wav to mp3. My computer needs a cd burner for backing up anyway. Good idea.

Any suggestions on good CD burners to buy or are they all the same?

Thanks,

Leef

Unless you plan to upgrade the OS and PC, I'd say it doesn't matter much. CD buners come in various "speeds", but unless the PC can keep up, you won't see those higher speeds.

The best as far as I'm concerned, if the budget and PC can support it, is a DVD player/burner, and a CD player/burner.

Makes it easy to copy CDs as well as work with DVDs. BTW a DVD burner can also do CDs. So if you only get one, check into a DVD burner.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have done this in the past, and there is allot of good freeware out there, no need to spend any $$$$.
    Go to www.tucows.com and do a search for "WAV CONVERTER" you will get alot of hits, pages programs ready to be downloaded. Find one that has a high popularity and be sure it says "FREEWARE" next to it. As shareware only allows so many uses, then it dies or you must purchase.
    Download the program into your temp file or somewhere you'll remember, then open the package. Most have a self executable files, be sure you know whick operating platform you have prior to downloading, IE windows 98, XP, ETC...
    Enjoy and have a good easter

Tollie,

Thanks for the advice. I have found a program which is working out great ( Cakewalk PYRO ). However, even with the smallest bit rate ( therefore worst quality ) and smallest file (a 390 MB wav file compressed to a 17 MB mp3 ) is still too big to attach and email.

It took about 4 minutes to try to send and then it is rejected with the message that it exceeds maximum size. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I am going to resort to burning them onto CD and delivering by hand. Gary, thanks for the advice. How many megabytes does a cd hold? How much does a dvd hold?

A salesman at comp usa suggested a forum at videohelp.com. I haven't gone there yet: I'm sticking with this brain trust on CBN. It's always been great help at almost any question. Salutes to everyone.

Leef