Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawdust and Toothpicks

Re: Sawdust and Toothpicks

There is a material called PEG (or something like that) that can be used to soak wook in, and it stabilizes it to prevent cracks. Sorry I can't be more specific - just read it some place and that fact is taking up a synapse in my brain.

Thanks Doc, I've never heard of such a product other than those for use on rotten wood.

In an attempt to eliminate the cracking I applied as much mineral oil as would soak in over a period of a week or so. It was a failure. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Used to that! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Thanks Gary. I'll check the library and check out the article.

Our local library has several other books that depict many router jigs. Have hopes of making one to make long round or tapered pieces.

I used the radial arm saw as it was end grain and worked much faster than an electric hand planer.

Egon

JazzDad.

Wish the artistic ability and desire were present to do what you have mentioned.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, he is correct on the product PEG. I think is stands for Poly-Ethylene-Glycol (sp). It mane use is to paint it on the ends of the wood so as it dries it won't start the checking. It works pretty good, a turning buddy of mine uses it when he dries logs for turning lamps and such. I don't know if it would work on something that large, or whether you dried it or found it dried.