Thread: Roof pitch?

Roof pitch?

I'm getting ready to build myself a pole barn, would like to know what roof pitch I should use. I have built myself a smaller storage shed (12x16 foot) using T-111 plywood and shingle roof, that was a 4:12 pitch, but my soon-to-be built pole barn will be all metal skins, including the roof. The building I've seen from the road, looks like a shallower pitch, anybody know what this would be? 3:12, 2:12, I live in Florida and have some good rain falling.

Thanks.

Re: Roof pitch?

Jeffrey; In my area, anything less than a 3/12 has to use rollroofing or a membrane. 4/12 is the lowest I would go. Where you are, you might get away with 3/12 or less, but I'd run it by the building inspector to see what they recommend. You'll most likely get a number of replies, but remember, most of them will be from people like myself that can only offer regional advice. Good luck with your building at any rate. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Welcome to CBN BTW. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

There is no correct answer to your question. The pitch of a roof is not a given it is no a set parameter. You determine the pitch that you want, it could be anything you want, and then the building is designed accordingly. There are positives and negatives to the various pitches . Visual effects, snow loading, roofing materials and structural loading, are some of the factors that vary with pitch changes. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Ron

Hey Jeffrey,
    I agree with Johnday, you should shoot for 4:12 at minimum. This would give advantage of good run off and more pleasing to eye for gabled roof line. The ones you see are most likely 2:12 which I think is standard for metal buildings. When I was searching last year for metal bldg, the provider (ARCO in GA) spec'd out a 2:12. If you're building it yourself you can make it a 7:12 and use the attic space for storage. Just remember to use at least 2x8 for ceiling joist (bottom chord on truss). And of course your truss design would need a knee wall to accomodate the 'room' and support roof but an easy thing if you're stick building. Hope this helps. post pics when you can. All the best to you my friend,
    rg

Hey Jeffrey,
    I checked out your burners....Neat stuff. The tweco burner, what size tip do you use and approx btu ? I built a "monster burner" several years ago trying to build forge as well....used the same basic plumbing you did. I drilled a .065" hole in 1/4" steel pipe shooting gas out a 8" burner length but I don't get a cone shaped burn. I flared out a piece of pipe slipped over end but not getting the results for a good burner. Did you mount the Tweco tip in a "T" inside a pipe reducer and length of straight pipe? This may get me back to ornamental blacksmithin !!!
    Thanks for your time.
    rg