Thread: Farm Insurance

Farm Insurance

Do you like your farm insurance company? Who are they? Who would you not insure with, any horror stories?
    I am not a broker or agent, my current policy is about to expire, just doing some research. Here in MD. there are not that many choices for farm insurance. We can purchase from many western companies, but its hard to collect enough information to make an informed decision. Nothing like some real data from the people paying for the product, rather than the people trying to sell you the product . [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ron

Re: Farm Insurance

Ron, does Maryland have a Department of Insurance? These folks are there to serve you. They should have compiled all sorts of statistics, including number of complaints against the carrier. This is the place to start- good, hard numbers (instead of hearsay). Supplement what you find there with word-of-mouth.

Bret,
    I already tried that. The first problem is there are very few companies in Md. that will insure farms. The next thing is that the state will provide you with the type of information you are refering to, if you give them a company name.They are not like a search engine where you put in farm insurance and Md. and get a response back. You must have an idea of what company you are requesting info. about. That is what I am attempting to do. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the response.
    Ron

Ron,
    I am also in Maryland. I went with a Nationwide subsidiary - largely out of the convenience that I was already a Nationwide customer for my townhouse in the suburbs. It wasn't cheap, but I did get coverage on a lot of my outbuildings (barns, machine sheds, and other storage) and on my tractor. I dont know if you have tried yet, but the Farm Bureau of Maryland may be able to help you find an insurance company that meets your needs.

Good luck,
    Larry

My first thought was "Farm Bureau" too Larry, but Md Farm Bureau apparently isn't in the insurance business as branches in some of the southern states are. However, Md F/B apparently has an arrangement with Nationwide for special pricing for farm bureau members.

I have State Farm and like its breadth and depth of available products.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"