Thread: Gravel road work

Gravel road work

I've started to make repairs on the road into my subdivision. It's full of potholes and the practice in the past has been to just fill them with more crushed rock. And that doesn't work for long!

So over the weekend I put the boxblade on my JD4100 and started to rip up the surface with the worst holes. After several passes I was able to get it pretty well ripped up about 5-6" deep. I added more rock and smoothed it all out.

I was suprised how easy it was to rip up once I got a bite. It was somewhat wet and I think that helped a lot. A heavier box blade would have helped too., but I got it done.

Now I may do another area tonight, or wait and see how it packs down. At least it's better than it was, but we really need someone with a real grader.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Gravel road work

I have found the same thing, but only on my driveway so its a much smaller scale.

If you box blade and churn up the areas around the pot holes, it somehow breaks up the hard areas around the hole and then allows it to pack back down smooth.

For a while.

Then you get to do it again!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Gravel road work

Yes, it will need to be done again. I guess a gravel road is "the gift that keeps on giving!". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Of course asphalt or concrete need work too. Just look at our highways. Not as often, but a lot more cost.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?