Thread: will corn cross pollinate?

will corn cross pollinate?

I want to plant some sweet corn for eating and some field corn for feed, side by side in my garden plot of about 85 x 75 feet. Will this cause any problems with cross pollination? Can someone eat field corn while its still tender? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: will corn cross pollinate?

Corn will cross pollinate and the size garden that you mention is not large enough to separate the two types of corn. I have never eaten field corn, suppose you could but it sure would not be tasty or sweet, but if young enough it should be tender.

The field corn is very good for roastin' ears if it's picked early enough. It's not quite as sweet and I know some folks who prefer it for that reason.

Perhaps if the seeding times and blossom times are different everything may go well. ??

Egon

I heard if you cross pollinated sweet corn you would get mutated ears and kernals.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

I just planted truckers favorite open pollinated corn. It is southern table corn, great for roasting ears early, and makes corn meal and livestock feed when mature.