Thread: Troy built tiller problem

Troy built tiller problem

I have a bronco tiller. Has a 5.5 Intek engine. I bought used. The float was stuck when I got it. I used this as leverage to get the price down. Gas had sat in it for 2 years. Was only used once. I bought a carb kit...cleaned and started right up. It will not smooth out idling. The governor jumps back and forth. When I choke it almost fully it seems to run better. I am using it like this, but is very annoying. I retraced my steps and everything looks right. There are no ajustments on the float. Any ideas?

Brian

Re: Troy built tiller problem

Would increasing the tension on the governor lever spring help any?

Egon

Sounds like it is still got carb problems, running lean. Most of the new carbs are not adjustable for emissions reasons. The couple of Briggs carb I have worked on recently I actually like better than the old ones, fewer parts no need to worry about how to adjust.

I would take the carb apart again and make sure all the little holes are clear. Squirt in some carb cleaner and make sure it comes out the other end of the little hole. Then blow out with some compressed air or even one of those little cans of air for dusting your computer. Be sure and look through the main jet to make sure it is clean. This is probabably the bolt that holds the bowl on. I had a small piece of grass get lodged in mine and caused problems.

I wouldn't mess with the governor, I don't think that is the problem unless it has a rat's nest or some other nest in the linkage. You could pull some of the sheet metal and make sure nothing has built a home on the governor linkage or the cooling fins.

If you adjust the springs on the governor you will change the max engine speed, which might cause inside parts to come outside.

Gary

I have seen this problem with my mower, but it was extreme circumstances. My son put water in the gas tank and oil fil; he was "helping". This tweaked the fuel inlet valve/seat on the float. I cleaned/darined fluids ect. I could go out a day later, and the gas was gone. Well, it was leaking past the float valve, and draining through the carb and into the cylinder, and seeping past the rings.

I could put gas in it, and it would start. But, it would smoke, and surge. I checked the oil, and it was overly full and THIN.

My theory is the gas thinned the oil. The rings did not seal properly without lube, and it blew by, causing pressure in the crankcase. It blew this icky oil mixture up the vent tube, which goes into the air cleaner. this caused a rich condition which caused the governer to back off. As speed dropped, the covernerkicked in again, then backed off, peat and repeat...

So, I put fresh oil in it, and it ran fine. Added a fuel shutoff which solved the issue when sitting. Finally replace the inlet needle and seat....

Have you changed the oil in this motor?

For the most part, it sounds like yours is running lean, and or has an air leak around a gasket or something. It starts, runs lean, the governer compensates, then backs off when rich. Then it repeats the cycle.

When you cleaned the carb, did you soak the body in a good carb cleaner solution, and blow out all those little holes in it. Bet one of those is still plugged...

I did not soak the carb but used a can of carb cleaner. I sprayed through all the orifices. It came out another place. I might have a problem with main jet on the bowl. It had a lot of grudge in it. I think tonight I will pull it off and stick a little copper wire through it. Thanks for the ideas. I also thought that maybe I was sucking through the head-gasket. I heard of this being a problem for some. Find the leak with propane while it is running.

Brian

The one time I've had head gasket problems on a 3.5 hp briggs, it wouldn't start not enough compression.

I was given a Snapper mower that had a bagger. Wouldn't start no matter what was the story. I checked the carb, no problem, got spark, decided to clean the head and look at the valves. When I pulled off the sheet metal grass clippings where packed aroung the cylinder and head cooling fins. Cleaned that up and removed the head. Head was not very tight. Scraped a little carbon off the head and retorqued it. Ran good. I've used this mower for going on twelve years now, has always used a little oil probably because of the overheating but starts and runs good.

When you remove a very full bag to empty it would dump a few clippings on top of the motor. When you started it, it would suck them through the screen on the flywheel and and pack them around the head. I put a muching blade and cover on it.

Gary

Robert,

You did better than my friend. He had the same problem with the float/needle valve not seating. He changed the oil too...........after rebuilding the engine.

Gary

<font color="red"> My son put water in the gas tank and oil fil; he was "helping". </font color>

Oh man can I relate.... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Hi, I am a first time user of this forum.
    I have a Troy built Tiller that is giving me fits. It is a Pony I think, about 10yrs old.
    Problem:
    After replacement of the carburator, tiller is hard to start. Once it is running the engine seems to run ok until tiller is engaged and pulls down the engine then the engine dies and it is extremely hard to start again. I can till about 5-10 feet and then the same thing again. I am no mechanic but it seems to bog dow with the choke and carburator when a load is encountered. I like my tiller but I cannot use it this way. Even though it cost a lot to have the carburator replaced I would pay to get it adjusted or whatever if possible.

Morris

Just a guess without seeing it, but it sounds as if the carburetor needs adjusting OR there's a fuel restriction not letting it through. Any chance of something in the tank not allowing a full fuel flow or a crimped fuel line between the tank and carburetor or does it have a fuel filter than might be clogged?