Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Type - Secondary Systems

Re: Fuel Type - Secondary Systems

These windows are taking me a long time to 'decypher'. I kind of talked about that above. They all have slightly different features, slightly different warranties, slightly different performance.

What I haven't done yet is to check price. That will probably be a big deciding factor - because everthing else looks largely equal.

I am looking at Marvin and Loewen. The Marvins are more expensive than the Loewens. And as far as I can tell ... they both seem to have the same quality and performance and warranty. Or I guess I should say that their features are so close that I can't detect a material difference.

So ... I'll price a similar window in both manufactures and see how far off they are from each other.

That might be the easiest solution. But I think that electricity is clean and low maintenance too.

Basically, I think you are correct. I would really like to see another solution other than adding another fuel source.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, that is a Marvin Integrity for that price. My local window guy said of the windows he carries, Marvin, Eagle and Lincoln have super warranties. They often times not only offer to repair the defective window but will many times offer a completely new replacement for all but the smallest of things. He also will send a guy out to show you how to install any window or door properly at no charge if your doing it yourself.

I'm going mostly propane heat but will either add a conduit for future electrical or run a romex wire now to heating equipment. I have perfect solar exposure but again, cost is a concern. Be sure to run 120V to your water heater area even if you do not need it now. I do remember now that you were considering building down around San Louis Obispo wasn't it?

Yes, outside San Luis Obispo in the country. Not quite that moderate weather as closer to the ocean.

Money is always an issue regarding solar. But if you are going to stay in your home for more than 4 years, I would really really encourage you to take a look. Most of the numbers I have seen will pay back the solar in that time period due to savings. And if the problem is finding cash, there are several lending programs for these systems.

I can't tell why people are not more logical about solar in terms of the financial incentives. If we see financial paybacks in less than 5 years, and we know that the price of energy will only increase in the future (so the benefits are even greater than what we see now), how come everyone isn't jumping on the bandwagon?

I guess it still has something to do with the relatively large amount of going-in cash. There is simply a point where, regardless of the payback, people just can't afford to make the acquisition.

Martin

Aren't the rebate incentives drying up? PG&E could also help out by giving more then just energy credits. My sister in law has solar and they are ahead by 300 kilowatts If they don't use up the energy by then, they loose it, no roll over, no cash reward, it's simply lost. I now encourage them to fire up the resitance heaters or AC and start burning away at the electricity through the rest of this month anyway.

The tax credit is now 7.5%. It ends 2006 I believe.

There is a rebate from the power company of $2.80 per watt. This decreases by $.20 per year. Plus if you diy there is a 15% reduction.

In California, the net metering laws are very liberal but they are still only an electricity 'bank' rather than a 'sell' to the electric company. It's done on a yearly basis. So if after a year you produce more energy than you use, the excess will be taken by the power company.

California electric companies credit your account at retail. This is a better deal than most other states which credit your account at wholesale.

So anyway, my take on this is that we need to install systems that produce as much electricity as we use. No more. I could be wrong about this and if so I hope that someone will correct me. I do not think that the electric company will actually send you a check for the excess production out of your system. That would actually be a better system because it is impossible to 100% predict your energy use through the year with precision.

Martin

SLObuds, High efficiency electric heat was heat pump based water heater.

INSULATION... INSULATION... INSULATION And a good passive solar design. Attention to daylighting. Engineer your fresh air supply since YOU WILL elliminate infiltration, nicht var?

We have bought the major appliances for our new house. the kitchen stove is dual fuel. Gas on top wth electric ovens undeneath, large but conventional range.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

OK Pat, doing all of that passive stuff first. You are alluding to the fact that passive measures are vastly more cost effective than active measures. And I would add 'windows' to your list of major focus items.

Yes on HRV.

I am stuck, but not paniced, on the secondary fuel. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There are enough options so that I'll let the chips fall after going through the heat load analysis.

I am MORE concerned about the wood stove or fireplace. I definitely want one of them and I definitely want radiant floor heat. I'm afraid that the spot heat created by the wood stove will blow out the even heat of the radiant floor. And I don't like the idea of heat wasted up the chimney/pipe either.

Well, just a few more things to keep me up at night!

Thanks,
    Martin

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    nicht var?

[/ QUOTE ]

Die alten wage sint sere goot. Gehen sie surich ein hundred yare und alles wiel gemenslich fure die becomenen. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Spelling is the pits.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]