Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 16 or 24 inch on center

Re: 16 or 24 inch on center

I wonder if spray on cellouse could be used with the double wall system? I don't see why not but I have been wrong before.

I prefer cellouse as it's not much money and it doesn't itch. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

RaT, About 1/3 of my ground floor is ICF. The double wall construction I mentioned previously elliminates the stud conductivity problem. Yes, I do like my deep windows.

During late winter and early spring we had considerable temp swings. The ICF portion of the house changed very little as compared to the rest which is insulated pretty well and has decent thermal mass in the floors. I also note that setting the thermostat (hydronic control) in the master bed room (ceiling hydronic heat) at 60F results in 63-64 degrees on days in the high 70s which I assume is mainly due to heat stored in the slab floor. Overshootwill likely be worse in the sections with hydronic floors. Luckily the important spaces each have two thermostats so that in times of considerable temp swing I can set the floor stats down a few degrees and the air stats up a few and end up with the same temp/comfort but less overshoot when we have a sudden warm afternoon. (My geo unit is a Waterfurnace and it supplies hot water or hot air or both at the same time. It does not make cold water only cold air.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Any insulation that will fit inside the double walls can be used. One of the monetary advantages to the double wall is that you can use the most cost effective, i.e. most R-value/$ material even if it is thicker than 5 1/2 inches when you get enough to meet your requirement. If folks had the forethough to save all the polystyrene packing materials and drink cups they could grind that and pour the cavity full from a hole near the top of the sheetrock and then patch the hole. Maybe goose down... Maybe cat hair or felt made from prime northern Wisconsin feral cat pelts.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> If folks had the forethough to save all the polystyrene packing materials and drink cups they could grind that and pour the cavity full from a hole near the top of the sheetrock and then patch the hole. Maybe goose down... Maybe cat hair or felt made from prime northern Wisconsin feral cat pelts.
    </font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

That post catch your attention too?