Thread: Cool Tip Soldering Iron

Cool Tip Soldering Iron

Has anyone tried or purchased this? If so, I would like your opinion on it. Thinking about getting one, but would like to know if it works, or a scam.

Re: Cool Tip Soldering Iron

I got one for Xmas. My opinion "class A Junk". I would give it to you but it ain't worth the cost of mailing.

Thanks Jim, Got the whole lowdown on TBnet

I bought one at Costco a while back. Tried it and put it away. Not good for much IMHO.

Now the Portasol butane powered units work very well indeed!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

they're actually quite good for what they're designed for and worthless for anything else.
    If you work on electronic circuits, breadboards and the like, or do a lot of wire soldering (again, electronics) ... it works very well .... you just have to remember that the tip is carbon and will easily crumble under pressure.
    The carbon tip is what provides the instant heat and cooling (carbon is a poor heat conductor).
    Plumbing or other "gross" soldering projects .... get butane if you need protable.

JMHO

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I have a couple miniature butane powered solderig irons that are just fine for the majority of electronic/electrical field repairs. they have an assortment of tips including plastic cutting/welding in addition to soldering. I don't know if Radical Shaft...OOPS Radio Shack still sells them. They are about fountain pen size and are refueled from a butane lighter refueling bottle.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"