Thread: Concrete/cement blocks and ponds

Concrete/cement blocks and ponds

Does anybody know if concrete/cement blocks are harmful to ponds/pond life? I'm thinking about using some old blocks to shore up the sides of my pond, convering them over with dirt. ? can substances leach out of the blocks and harm the pond or fish? Thanks very much.

George

Re: Concrete/cement blocks and ponds

Don't think they will hurt anything unless you drop one on your toes! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Actually, they can be quite useful in ponds by offering all types of fish havens and feeding spots.

I think you'll be okay with it. I've seen many ponds with cement liners and never heard of any problems. The only thing I can possibly think of is if you added water and fish before the cement was fully set.

Steve

Thanks very much for the information, guys. I've read also about putting old Christmas trees in a concrete base for underwater fish havens.

George

You don't need to get fancy and mix concrete to put concrete "overshoes" on our Christmas trees so you can have them "sleep wlith the fishes." You can tie one or more christmas trees to one or more concrete blocks (sufficient to achieve negative buoyancy) and drop them in. The trees attract smaller life by providing hiding places and habitat and the larger fish are attracted to the smaller fish.

Same thing happens at sea around a floating patch of uprooted sea weed, kelp, or a log washed out to sea. Stuff grows on the log and small fish shelter around it and eat the stuff growing on the log. Larger fish gather to eat the little fish and yet larger fish gather to eat the mid sized ones. Tuna fishermen of my acquaintance used to look for such and set their nets around such logs.

Other "nice" things to put into a pond are: clay drainage tile and or scraps of large diameter pipe (pvc, abs, steel (for as long as it lasts), concrete blocks, and other potential habitat for aquatic critters.

I know some lake fishermen who used to drop a bale of alfalfa hay in the lake and note the location so they could return to that spot to fish. The vegetarian fish eat the hay and predator fish come to eat the fish eating the hay. Fishermen come to catch the predators (bass and such.)

Don't get too carried away with adding stuff that will be taking up oxygen as it decomposes unless your pond is constantly overflowing and receiving "new" oxygenated water.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"